19

"Good win, ladies!" Reese's coach hollered in the locker room. "That was a hard fought game to bring us to a 4 game win streak!"

Reese clapped her hands as she took a seat on the bench.

"We have these next 12 days off but I expect you all to come back after this break ready to get back to work." She yelled again. "Other than that, great fucking win led by our rookie goalie! Give it up for Davis."

Reese smiled, ignoring the soreness in her body.

"Speech! Speech! Speech!"

The soccer goalie, who hadn't allowed a single goal in the last 4 weeks, stood. Her body hurt and she was dead tired, but she was a team girl before she was anything else.

"I started rough and it was difficult, not gonna lie." Reese held her back as laughter echoed through the room. "But I'm so fucking proud of us. Family on 3. 1,2,3."

"Family!"

She walked over and sat in front of her locker, tugging her braids out of the ponytail. Reese pulled her shin guards off as she listened to her teammates make plans to go out and celebrate.

They hardly liked hanging out with her and she didn't really mind. Reese never had many friends, anyway. Plus, this was a job. She wasn't here to make friends.

Reese also had a plane to catch to Philadelphia in about an hour. It took 2 whole months in D.C. but she finally had time to go to Philadelphia and take a break from soccer.

"Oh, Reese! We're so rude." Angie laughed. "Would you like to come get drinks with us? We already reserved a table but we'd definitely be able to squeeze Reese Davis herself in."

Reese fought the urge to roll her eyes and forced a smile. "I'm good. Gotta catch this plane to Philly. But, thank y'all."

"Oh, right." Savannah smirked, crossing her arms. "Reese is dating Jalen Hurts. He left Bri for her."

Angie's eyes widened. "Bri? The one you went to college with?"

"Mhm."

"I'm not dating Jalen." Reese cut in. "And it didn't really go like that. They were already broken up."

"That's not what Bri said."

Reese squinted her eyes. "You went to Alabama?"

"Yup. Bri is my best friend." Savannah explained. "She told me all about how Jalen was hanging out with you while they were together."

The rookie soccer goalie didn't really have anything to say to that. While that was partially true, it was being presented in a very strange way. There was no romantic intent behind seeing Jalen at that point in time.

Briana also neglected to mention the fact that she cheated on Jalen.

"Reese!"

Reese giddily wobbled towards Jessica, bags in hand and all. "Hi!"

"My baby. I'm sorry I haven't been out there. Work has been ridiculous." Her biological mother said genuinely, rubbing her back.

Jessica had gotten a job as one of Sterling's assistants at his company. She was dedicated to it and Sterling was so insanely proud of her. They were the best of friends and coparents.

"It's okay, Mama." She said, using that term for the first time in years. "I'm happy to see you now."

Jessica pulled back. "Let me get you to your Dad's. I'm gonna head out to work afterwards but we'll have to make dinner plans soon."

"Alrighty."

In the middle of Reese pulling out her phone to shoot Jalen a text, 2 young girls ran up to her. It was a full circle moment, she realized, as they pulled out things for her to autograph.