15

"Nice cutback."

Reese continued the remainder of the drill, keeping soccer balls out of the net. Tryouts for national teams were kicking her ass but she was also getting used to pro-level soccer training.

"Mrs. Davis. You have impressed us in every workout." The scout from the Washington Spirit said. "We'd love to sit down with you and your agent to get a contract written up."

She smiled. "Thank you so much."

"We were a little skeptical of the shoulder."

"The shoulders fine. You guys can conduct any kind of procedure or X-Ray you need to." Reese convinced them. "The shoulders 100% healthy and I've never felt better."

The training staff members and club managers nodded at one another before one spoke up. "Alright. We'll set up a date to meet you and your agent. We can't wait to have you in Washington."

Reese shook his hand, a large smile present on her face. "Thank you so much."

The goalie slung the gym bag over her shoulder before heading outside with her new personal trainer. Reese hired him about a week ago to help with assistance on a normal gym routine.

"Am I working out today?"

"No, ma'am." Ray, her trainer, said. "You did cardio this morning and just went through a 2 hour soccer workout. You're good for the day."

Reese tried not to get anxious. "What about tomorrow?"

He heard the skepticism in her voice. "Light weight lifting should do you well for tomorrow. I promise, I got you. I know what I'm doing."

Ray was made aware of Reese's situation when he was hired so he knew what he was walking into. His goal was to make sure she wasn't pushing her body too hard and was still able to eat what she wanted to eat. He'd dealt with a lot worse and since Reese was very much in shape, Ray just needed her to stay in a good mental space.

"Alright." Reese climbed into the back of the SUV, fishing around her bag for her phone. "Should I text Debby or are you?"

He chuckled, crossing his legs. "I got it, Reese."

One thing he'd noticed quickly was the fact that Reese worried a lot. With her going into the National Soccer League and freshly inking a shoe deal fresh out of college, Ray could see why she was so stressed all the time.

When Reese told him she went to the gym twice a day and everyday, while only eating two meals, Ray was appalled. That was normal for maybe a football player but not a soccer goalie. She was simply pushing herself too hard.

Reese's phone rang, so she answered the call.

"Hello?"

Jalen's voice came through slightly annoyed. "Where you at?"

"Just left my workout."

"Oh." He cleared his throat. "How it go?"

Reese smiled. "My agent and I are meeting them next week for contract negotiations."

Jalen couldn't help the smile that broke out onto his own face. "Hell yeah, Reese."

"Yep." She let out a small happy sigh. "Did you need me, though? I'm on my way home the workout. Do you want me to come over?"

"Nah. I ain't really ina' mood fa' company right na'." He explained, not wanting to offend her. "But, I'm so proud of you and I'a see you tomorrow."

Reese pouted, keeping her disappointment to herself. "Okay. I hope you're feeling better later."