"No, please ma'am, don't do that. I know he must have frightened you and that he hurt you, but the injury is not severe, and he isn't himself right now. We are taking him to get help. We are so sorry that you had to experience this, but please, just take your dog and get home safely."

Baldwin smoothly talks as though he isn't restraining a rabid David in his arms. She looks up at him, this tall, foreboding figure grappling with a crazed and snarling David, as she contemplates his words. She seems very unsure about leaving, but it doesn't look like she wants to stay and wait for the cops either and risk further injury. Her eyes drop to her injured arm, the bleeding having already slowed, and up to meet my eyes.

"Does he have any diseases?"

Smart woman. The risk would not be the wound from his teeth, but the germs and possible diseases spread from his saliva. I don't know how to answer. Obviously, David was not ill, but should she be worried? He wasn't exactly the picture of a healthy normal human. Would she end up like him? My magic seems to be bubbling up inside me as the shock starts to fade and my anxiety rises. I try to harness it and focus on willing her to leave. I just need her gone. My brain feels like it will short circuit at any moment. I'm not sure if my magic has any effect, but she does choose to walk away without comment.

Once she has turned the corner and is no longer visible or in earshot, Baldwin asks, "Do we need to worry about her turning into a zombie?"

"I have no idea. I mean, I - this isn't something I'm familiar with. It's not like in the movies. There is no virus or nuclear apocalypse. He wasn't raised with the intention of being a zombie by some evil necromancer seeking revenge. This is my magic backfiring, I have no clue if it is transferable."

"Well, I hope it's not, or this could get ugly."

"We will have to ask my parents. And if it is, I don't know what to do. We didn't exactly get her address or name or anything."

"Okay, let's deal with one thing at a time. Can you get him calm again?"

Just as I had done the two times prior, I take David's face in my hands and try to get him to focus on me. He does not seem to recognize me anymore, though. The bloodlust or desire for flesh or brains or whatever it is that David is craving has completely taken over. There wasn't much of David to begin with, but I am pretty sure there is no coming back from this. Baldwin seems concerned, aware that David does not appear to be acknowledging my words or my presence in front of him. He simply continues to thrash and growl and bite at the space between us.

Baldwin is strong, but he is not going to be able to drag David in this state the rest of the way to my house, at least not easily and not without risk. I need to do something. I think about the woman leaving, I don't know if I had any influence in that decision or not, but maybe I can try to replicate it and use my magic to calm David. Not releasing his face, I try to focus on the memory of the bubbly feeling in my veins, trying to summon the magic that flows through me. I close my eyes and concentrate on the sensation and am surprised when I feel it.

I focus on willing David to calm down. I imagine my magic flowing from me to David, just like when I performed the resurrection spell. Only the intent this time is calm, not rise. David's grunting noises cease, and I hear a soft "Wow" come from Baldwin. I open my eyes and see David lax in Baldwins arms. Baldwin's eyes are wide as they look at me.

"Kat, your magic, I felt it. Like ripples starting in my hands and traveling up my arms and through my body like a wave of calm, warm water."

He releases David, who doesn't move, and stares at his hands for a moment before returning his gaze to me. The smile that spreads across his face is breathtaking. I suck in a breath and choke, coughing and sputtering and completely ruining the moment. My eyes linger on the floor, avoiding him as I struggle to regain my composure. I feel his hand on my shoulder, a quiet plea for my attention. As I lift my head, his hand captures my chin, making sure that I can't avert my eyes from him again.