A Promise Kept 🌶️

Start from the beginning

His eyes flickered to the side. "There's a chance, yeah." He hurried on as she drew a panicked breath. "But I told them what happened, how Prewett's been needling us for months, like when he dressed up as a dementor, made a point to insult you, I even threw in a few fibs as well to bolster it. I told them how he called you a mudblood, and just after you got attacked by supremacists! It made sense Ominis snapped, anyone else would have long ago. He'll be fine."

"I hope so," Dracaena said, sinking onto the sofa and clasping her hands. "No one deserves to be expelled just for a mistake."

Sebastian paused in his way over to her. "Yeah. I guess so."

When Dracaena didn't reply, he took a seat next to her, sliding an arm around her shoulders and pulling her close, running his hand over her hair.

"He'll be alright," he murmured. "No matter what happens, he's got us, yeah?"

"Mm," Dracaena nodded, climbing into his lap and cuddling up. Sebastian sighed, wrapping his arms around her, leaning back. He continued stroking her hair, the motion soothing as she listened to his pulse flutter in his throat. But she could sense the tenseness in him in the way his feet were firmly planted on the floor, the way his jaw was clenched, the way his neck was rigid.

"Are you alright?" she whispered.

He nodded. "About as good as I can be, I guess. I just..." he held her closer. "I know I should be worried about Ominis. And I am, really, but..." he brushed his lips over her cheek. "I have to admit, it's nice just to be alone with you."

Dracaena nuzzled into him, and his arms tightened around her waist. "It is." She tilted her head, gazing up at him. "You are okay with all of this, aren't you? The three of us?"

He nodded slowly. "Of course I am, Drac. It makes you happy."

"But does it make you happy?"

He kissed her softly. "You do."

"You know that's not what I'm asking, Bassy. I know you get jealous. How are you dealing with it?"

He shrugged. "Just am."

"But you do get jealous."

"Well... yeah." He shifted, pulling her closer. "But he's my best friend, Drac. If I was going to trust anyone else in the world with you, it'd be him." He sighed. "That said, it's not exactly easy when you stick your tongue down his throat in front of everyone and all I get is a kiss on the cheek."

Dracaena tucked her head against his shoulder. "I can see that. But he needs the morale boost, don't you think? Especially with all he's going through with his family. He's still got trauma from being tortured, and to have it happen to me right in front of him..."

"That hurt me too," Sebastian murmured, winding his fingers through her hair, his grip on her tightening. "I never wanted to hear you scream like that again, Drac. I've never been so scared in my life."

She kissed his neck. "What would make you feel better about it? What can I do that would help?"

He sighed, his other hand resting on her hip. "Aside from the obvious?" he chuckled a little. "Just... I don't know. It's nice to feel needed. Wanted."

"I do need you," she whispered, raising a hand to his cheek and turning his face to hers. She met his eyes, soft and full of longing. "I always will, Bassy. You know I care about you."

His smile was small and sad. "I know. I guess I just need to appreciate moments like this when they happen. I just hope they're not too rare."

"I'll make sure of it." She kissed him gently, and he sighed against her lips. "Maybe we need some kind of rota?"