Royal Visitors

The following morning, Celene's presence was requested in the throne room, where some visitors were expected. She rarely went into the throne room, which was probably used around three or four times a year. Maids were rushing around, uncovering and polishing the furniture. As Celene walked into the room, one of the maids whipped a white dustsheet from a cabinet, revealing the Elithian glass crown. Celene stared at it as she always did. It was a beautiful object, delicate and well-crafted from the finest crystal glass so that it projected little rainbows from any angle. Since she was a little girl she had been desperate to wear it, to see how it would feel upon her head, but it was never allowed. The glass crown was too previous, too fragile, to be worn by anyone but the Elithian monarch on coronation day.

Her father coughed, clearing his throat, drawing her attention. She was surprised to see him sitting on the throne itself: a giant, wooden seat decorated with carvings of heart shaped mulberry leaves. If he was sitting on the throne then the visitors must be important. Luckily, they had not yet arrived, which meant she could speak freely to her father.

She was unimpressed by the situation.

"Why are we hosting visitors when Hero is ill?"

"I have taken your advice, daughter, and sent for some of the wisest healers I could think of. I recalled that Queen Audrey of Essendor was once struck by a similar affliction, yet she made a full recovery. By luck, some of her council are travelling in these parts and I have reached out to them as our neighbours and friends."

Celene nodded. That did seem like a sensible decision.

"Before they arrive, I must ask you something: I understand that you have been asking questions about Sidra and her magic?"

Celene felt a flush rise on her cheeks. "Has Ardis been speaking to you?"

"How I came to hear of it is not the point, Celene. The point is that no good ever came from Sidra - I hardly need to tell you that-"

The king was cut short as the herald walked in to announce their visitors.

"Queen Audrey and her people are here, Your Majesty."

The king nodded and settled back in his chair. "Please bring them straight in."

Celene stared at her father open mouthed. "The queen of Essendor herself is coming?"

"I took your advice and used my influence. What good is it being a king if I do not occasionally use my power for the good of my family?"

Celene nodded and drew herself up tall. She had heard much about Queen Audrey of Essendor, who, despite only being around Celene's age, was said to have restored peace to a troubled kingdom. She was known to be caring and fair but also strategic and calm under pressure. These were all qualities that Celene aspired to, and she prepared to show her best side to such an inspirational figure. Maybe one day they would rule neighbouring kingdoms.

But when the Essendor royal party entered the throne room, Celene was staggered at how strange they looked. A small elfin man with green and red speckled skin, and a lanku, startled-looking man flanked a young girl. Celene nodded a greeting and looked behind them for Queen Audrey.

It was not until her father rose and took the hand of the young girl in the centre of the group, that Celene realized that this was in fact Queen Audrey herself. The queen was about a head shorter than Celene, who was not particularly tall herself, and skight, with cropped brown hair and large brown eyes. If Celene had passed her in the street she would have assumed that she was on her way to the schoolroom or to knights' training school.