Chapter Three - The King's Ship

Elithia was a calm and peaceful kingdom; Celene had grown up knowing that she had all the time in the world. Even if now she was busy with training, there would always be later: time to have that awkward conversation, time to apologise. But sometimes, life took an unexpected turn and all that time was no longer available.

The king and Hero had been absent for five days. Celene was in the drawing room, eating her luncheon in an armchair. She had a simple bowl of soup and bread balanced on her knee, as it had seemed excessive to request a formal meal for one person.

"How is your soup, Your Highness?" asked Hester, who was busying herself around the room, dusting ornaments and plumping cushions.

"Delicious, thank you, Hester." Celene suspected that Hester's main reason for being there was to keep her company. She had not spent much time with anyone since her father's absence, apart from brief messages from the council, and she appreciated Hester's concern.

The drawing room, like most other rooms in the palace, had a sweeping sea view, which was one of the advantages of island life. Hester was rearranging the curtain tiebacks, when she stopped for a moment, squinting into the distance. 

"I can see the king's ship, ma'am."

Celene finished the soup and put the bowl down on a side table. She joined Hester at the window, adopting a similar squinting expression.

"It can't be. They are not due back for another week, at least."

But as the ship sailed closer and it's crisp outline came into view, she saw the green and purple Elithian flag fluttering from the mast, complete with royal crest. It was her father's ship. Back early. She thought back to the conversation she'd had with her father back in the library.

"The sea people have asked that we spend a significant stretch of time with them so that we can appreciate what they are trying to achieve. It is a good sign that they want us there."

 So was it a bad sign if they were returning early? Celene's first thought was that maybe Hero hadn't been quite as charming as her father had hoped. Perhaps he had disgraced the sea people with his lack of political  knowledge, and they had redrawn their hospitality. She felt amused and then immediately ashamed of herself for even thinking such a thing. She thought of the last words she had spoken to Hero before his trip:

"I hope that your mission does not go smoothly. I hope that it is full of calamity . . ."

What if something was really wrong? Her father was not old, but he was not a young man, either, and he had suffered problems with his chest in the past. He probably shouldn't be out at sea past the warmer summer months. 

Hester's face reflected her concern. "I do hope everything is well with King Ellis," she said, clasping her hands together.

"Let's go down to the port and meet the ship," said Celene.

"It will be windy down there. Shall I get your winter cloak?"

"Please do," said Celene, looking out of the window again as Hester scurried off. The sea was still and the ship was sailing gracefully towards Elithia, a white line trailing behind her like a tail. From this distance, it was impossible to imagine there could be a problem.

She would go to the port and welcome her father and Hero with enthusiasm. She would enquire about the trip and make positive and helpful remarks, no matter whether the visit had been successful or not. That would make up for the lack of a proper farewell.

Word count - 606 words.