At the Port

Hester was right; it was windy down by the docks. A salty breeze whipped across the water like a slap. Celene pulled the hood of her cloak right over her head and down to her eyes. This kept out the cold and also indicated to anyone who might bother her that she was not in the mood for small talk. Hester acted as a human shield, standing solidly beside Celene with her own winter wrap folded across her chest.

A small, giggling group of young women gathered nearby to welcome home the king - or most likely the handsome prince Hero.

They held posies of deep pink asters and handfuls of flower petals. A royal ship, however small and however unexpected, couldn't dock in Elithia without a welcome party. The girls didn't try to talk to Celene, and although she was glad she didn't have to make conversation, she still felt a pang of hurt. They would no doubt try to speak to Hero when he was disembarked.

As the ship grew nearer, she dropped her sail, and the crew brought out the oars to row her in. The king and Hero were nowhere to be seen: below deck, probably. One girl with bare arms broke from the group, ran to the perimeter wall and threw a handful of petals into the water, as a gesture of welcome and good fortune.

Suddenly, deep cackling laughter broke the happy atmosphere. "All is not well on board that vessel, and it is too late for flower petals in the ocean. I have seen dark times ahead for Elithia!"

The girls, Celene and Hester all looked for the source of the voice and saw a figure dressed in black, lurking some distance away. It was Sidra, who was infamous in these parts and caused trouble wherever she went. She was short but stood as if she were six-foot tall, her long purple hair flowing over her shoulders. The girls turned their backs and ignored her but she moved even closer.

Hester swatted the air in front of hair, as if trying to rid herself of a pest. "Get away from here - this is a welcome party, not a funeral procession!" she cried.

Sidra cackled again. "A welcome party that might not be as happy as planned. I cannot see the royal family waving from the deck, can you?"

Celene looked away from Sidra, not wanting to engage in conversation and worried that her expression might give away her own anxiety about the ship. She saw Nyaal and Kay, in full armour, marching down towards the docks. She made eye contact with them and gestured subtly towards Sidra to let them know that she was being a nuisance.

They marched towards her. "Is everything all right here, Sidra?" asked Kay.

Sidra narrowed her eyes. "I have a right to stand here on these docks with everyone else."

"Yes, as long as you don't stir up any trouble," said Nyaal, moving between her and Celene.

Sidra raised her hands in a gesture of surrender. "I have finished here anyway. I only wanted to watch the ship come in." She turned to Celene. "Farewell for now, Princess. I shall leave you to greet your family. No doubt I will see you soon." She swept away, still laughing to herself, and Celene avoided looking in her direction.

She shivered. Were Sidra's words true, or was she stirring up trouble? She would love to dismiss such thoughts, but she had known as soon as she saw the ship that something was not quite right.

Then she caught sight of her father on deck. He had emerged from his cabin and stood facing the harbour. The wind whipped his longish hair around his face and his travelling clothes flapped about him. His face was red and weathered and he looked unusually tired, but well: fit and healthy.

Celene breathed out deeply. Perhaps things had gone dreadfully wrong with the sea people. Perhaps they were on the brink of war, but if he was well, then the rest didn't matter; they could solve any problem together. 

Hester was clinging to her arm and she turned to smile at her maid, expecting to see relief on her face; but Hester was still looking towards the ship, her brow wrinkled.

She turned to Celene and whispered. "Where is Prince Hero, Your Highness?"

Word count - 719 words.