Sakata Gintoki x Reader: Nighttime Cuddles

It wasn't often they got time alone like this—her sitting in his lap, snuggled safe against his chest. Him sitting there surprisingly silently, watching as she held one of his hands in both of hers, smiling as her fingers brushed against his palm.

"Haah, it's so quiet," she sighed, lacing their fingers together. "It almost makes me miss those two."

"What're you talkin' about?" Gin muttered. "I thought you were itching for them to get out of the house."

"That was you, Gin," she said, giving his hand a squeeze before letting go. "I, for one, love having Kagura and Shinpachi around. They just light up the place, you know?"

Gin snorted. "Are you kidding? If I so much as try to pinch your cheek with them in the room—"

"Kagura will gag and Shinpachi will glance awkwardly at the door, I know. Anyway..." she said, clasping his hands and bringing them up for her to see, "if you're that worried about them, you can get up and look."

"Worried?" Gin scoffed. "I'm not worried. Why would I be worried? It's not like they just left without saying a word to me, and it's not like it's been three hours since they left...and it's not like it's getting dark, and there's been that dangerous amanto gang prowling the streets...no, I'm not worried! I'm not worried at all!"

"Uh-huh," (F/N) said, giving his hand a gentle pat. "I know, dear, but seriously, if you're worried—"

"I'm not worried!" he snapped. "And what're you doing with my hands? They're not your personal tinker toys, you know."

She rolled her eyes. "Oh, really? I'm treating you like a tinker toy? Who picked me up and put me in his lap because he was getting cold in the middle of the summer?"

"That's different! A man has his needs—"

"Yeah, yeah, but seriously, look at them!" she said, placing her hands flat against his. "I mean, come on, they're so big! My hands look tiny compared to yours!"

Gin made a small sound, and somehow, she knew he was smirking.

"Yeah, that's right," he said with way too much self-satisfaction in his voice, "and it just makes it that much easier to do this."

With that, he completely enveloped her hands in his. She let out a squeal, jokingly trying to wrestle out of his grip, but it was no use. His hands were warm, and steady, and made her heart flutter just a little.

"Right, right," she said with just a hint of a chuckle. "Now let go! Your callouses are scratching me!"

"Oh, come on!" He let go with one hand, flicking her on the forehead. "What do you think I was doing during the war? Pilates?"

She rolled her eyes. "Right, sorry! Sorry! Forgive me!"

(F/N) tried to laugh it off, but that wasn't enough this time. She could feel it—the way his muscles went tense, and the smile disappeared from his face. It was easy for her to forget he'd fought in the war—she'd met him later, after all, when he was already Yorozuya Gin-chan. Her Gin was so different from the infamous Shiroyasha. He was kind, and laid-back, and had a terrible sweet tooth, but every now and then she saw a different side to him. A side with dead eyes, who woke screaming in the middle of the night.

They sat in silence for a long time. At some point, his grip had loosened, and she slipped her hands out of his hold, tracing a thin scar on his palm with her fingertip. She waited until his muscles relaxed and his breathing steadied to stand, stretching her arms above her head.

"Kagura and Shinpachi have been gone for a while," she said, crossing the room to get her weapon. "We really should look for them."

She strung her bow, and grabbed her arrows, but before she could move to the door, a pair of arms enfolded her from behind.

"Gin?" she exclaimed. His breath fanned the back of her neck, and her heart skipped a beat. How could a simple hug make her so damn flustered?

"Um—Gin?" she stammered, glancing over her shoulder. "Is something wrong?"

"Nothing," he whispered, burying his face in her hair. "I'm just making sure you're real, that's all."

(F/N)'s heart melted. He made her so soft, but, somehow she didn't mind at all.

"That's okay," she murmured. "Take as much time as you need."

Some time later, Kagura and Shinpachi would emerge from the closet, horrified at what they'd just heard.

Author's Note: Hello, all! Thank you for reading! If you enjoyed this chapter, please remember to vote. Thank you!

-Marguerite Partello