Chapter 111: A Tragic Lack of Beheadings

Start from the beginning

The raccoon dog spirit wrapped firm fingers around my body, pulled me off her shoulder with one hand, and used the other to work my claws free. "Stop squirming," she hissed. "You're making it worse. But no, I didn't 'get' Jullie to do anything."

Then why's she here?

She eased a loop of thread off a claw. "Because she wants to be."

Because you put it into her head that she needs to see the situation for herself?

Another loop of thread slid off a claw. "I didn't 'put' anything into her head. I'm not you. I told you, I don't get involved in politics."

A likely story.

Tagging along with the queen seems pretty involved to me.

She couldn't shrug because it would damage her gown more, but I heard it in her voice. "I'm just here for moral support."

Yeah, moral support definitely counted as getting involved in court politics. But whatever. It wasn't my problem if Anthea were too dense to see that much. It wasn't like I was her mentor (anymore). Really, all I needed her to do was survive long enough to introduce me to the Kitchen God.

" – did it for you, Jullie!" Black Crag's shout interrupted our conversation. "You have always been too soft on the nobles! They are your vassals! Do you really think an Empress would have allowed her nobles the degree of license that you do?"

Yellow Flame was too much of a courtier to snort, but he did raise both eyebrows.

Jullia's voice remained cool. "Yes, about that, Your Grace."

Clenching his sticky fists, Black Crag growled, "I did it for your sake, Your Majesty."

"And we acknowledge the intent, but we cannot condone the action. You are hereby banished from court. Confine yourself to your estate until further notice. If we hear of further attacks upon our vassals, you will answer to us."

Hang on a sec, is that it? She's sending him home? She's not beheading him or anything?!

What kind of puny punishment was this?!

"Not everyone is like you," Anthea muttered.

After working the final loop of silk free from my claws, she didn't bother setting me down anywhere. She simply opened her fingers. I plummeted several inches before I got my wings coordinated. Then I flew around and dug my claws into her other shoulder.

Hey, if she had to get one side of her gown repaired, I might as well make sure it stayed symmetrical, right?

"Why must you be so perverse?" she hissed. "I'd forgotten how much I didn't miss you."

Awww, so you did miss me? I gotta say, though...I didn't miss you at all.

She gnashed her teeth, got me untangled from the silk, stalked forward, and thrust me at Floridiana.

Startled, the mage jerked her head up. She'd been keeping it lowered, peeking at the queen and earls through messy strands of hair.

"This is yours, I believe." Anthea made me sound like a clod of earth kicked up by her horse's hooves.

"No – " began Floridiana, who had no particular desire to lay claim to me – "I mean, yes, gracious lady. I apologize deeply for my, uh, pet sparrow's...misbehavior. If there is anything I might to make up for it – "