Old Memories

"Graves is alive."

You and task force 141 look at Laswell in disbelief. Just moments ago, you had been wrapping up the team's latest mission, when Laswell burst into the comms room and demanded you and the team come to the meeting room at once.

"Whit the fuck d'ye mean he's alive? I blew up the fuckin' tank he was in! Thir's no fuckin' way he could've survived that!" Soap yelled, slamming his fists on the table. You flinched slightly, surprised by the amount of anger he displayed. You look at the rest of the team. Ghost's fists were clenched tightly, his eyes cloudy with rage. Gaz was looking at Laswell with complete disbelief. Price had a deep grimace set on his face.

You had heard of Graves before, and were as surprised as the rest to find out he was still alive. You'd read the mission logs, read of his betrayal, and how Soap and Rodolfo from Los Vaqueros had supposedly killed him. You knew vaguely that he had tried to hunt down Soap and Ghost, but based on their reactions, a lot more happened than the logs let on.

Laswell shook her head and looked at Soap with a grimace. "He wasn't in the tank. He managed to escape with the rest of his shadows." Soap cursed under his breath and shared a look with Ghost. Gaz ran a hand down his face.

"So, what information do we have?" Price finally says. Laswell reaches into a bag and pulls out a handful of photos and lays them on the table. The five of you lean forward to get a better look. There's photos of a base and zoomed in photos of Graves' face.

"We know where he is. A drone in the area managed to capture these pictures and send them to us before it was shot down." Laswell said. You picked up one of the photos of the base to look at it closer. Your eyes widened in realization, your blood ran cold and your stomach dropped. You recognized this base.

It was the location of your last mission.

Dreaded memories of that night screamed and tried to claw their way to the front of your mind. You willed them to stay back. Not now. Not right here.

"You alright, Y/N?" Gaz asked, looking your way. You snapped out of the daze you had been in, and looked at him.

"...Yeah, I'm fine... I just..." You glanced at Laswell. She had a knowing look on her face. You swallowed. "I know this base. I can get you guys in and out, easy. I need it re-scouted, though. It could've changed since..." You cleared your throat. "It could've changed over the past couple years."

Soap eyed you curiously. This place clearly made you nervous. What happened in it? What happened to you? He looked back down at the picture of Graves. Now's not the time for questions. He'd ask later.

Laswell nodded. "I'll have a team sent out immediately." She looked you dead in the eye. "L/N, I want you to oversee this operation." Your jaw dropped slightly.

"But-"

"I'll get the scouts together. We'll meet back here for debrief in 4 hours. Dismissed." Said Laswell before leaving the room. You gaped at her as she left. You glanced at the team around you, who were all eyeing you curiously. You gave them a weak smile and gestured towards Laswell, attempting to say something. When nothing came out, you just simply booked it out of the meeting room. You caught up with Laswell, your cane smacking against the ground.

"Laswell, what makes you think I can lead this operation? You know what happened there." You say, attempting to keep up with her fast pace. She didn't look at you, just kept walking.

"L/N, you're more than capable of leading this mission. You're more qualified than I am since you've infiltrated the building before." She says. You scoff slightly.