𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 8

~

𝙶𝙾𝙾𝙳 𝚆𝙸𝚃𝙷 𝚆𝙴𝙸𝚁𝙳

{𝙳𝙴𝙺𝙰𝚈𝙻𝙸𝙽}

><
{𝚕𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚗 𝚠𝚑𝚒𝚕𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍: "𝙶𝚛à𝚌𝚒𝚊" 𝚋𝚢 𝚂𝚑𝚎𝚕𝚍𝚘𝚗 𝚂𝚊𝚗𝚍𝚋𝚎𝚛𝚐}
><

It was rough trynna get to sleep.

I tossed and turned practically the whole time I was in bed. Accepting the fact that I just wouldn't get to sleep, I ended up just layin' there, lookin' up at the ceiling.

That was until I heard something hit my window over and over again. I sat up and made my way to the window, only to see Jorja about to throw another small rock before she saw me. I opened the window.

"What?" I asked.

"Step back," she said quietly. "I'm comin' up."

Without giving me a chance to protest, she climbed – more like jumped – up the nearest tree and smoothly landed in my room.

She was shirtless again, except for her sports bra, her muscles out on display as they flexed. Her hair was up in a messy bun, her little fly aways falling back into place as she stood up straight.

I had to keep myself from checkin' her out. Besides, after what happened earlier today, her presence wasn't welcomed.

"What you doin' here?" I asked, sizin' her up.

Jorja put up a finger, listening for my parents. When she heard nothing, she released a breath before taking in my room.

"It's a lot more clean than I thought it be..." she teased.

"Jorja I'm not in the mood. What do you want?"

She looked at me, shame evident in her eyes.

"I had to come talk to you...alone..."

"For what? To kick me in the gut again? Shit was already bad, but you made it that much worse."

"I know...and I want to explain. I just...I can't..."

"Then leave."

We locked eyes, neither of us makin' a move. I could tell she didn't wanna leave. Honestly, I didn't want her to, either. But she hurt me. And I couldn't stand to look at her right now. I tried movin' her myself, but she was immovable. Like, she ain't even move an inch. It was pissin' me off.

"You're done with me, remember?" I asked, my frustration becoming more evident. "Get out."

"D," she pleaded, "I literally can't explain what happened to me...what really happened to me..."

It was the soft tone of her voice that caused me to realize where my hands were. They made a home on her hips. I locked eyes with her, stuck in the feeling of how warm she was. It wasn't as alarming the first time.

It was almost like a cool heat. A feeling that had my hands roaming across her exposed skin. There was sincerity in the smile she gave me as we sat on the edge of my bed – her on my lap, facing me.

"I know I broke my promise not to hurt you..." she began, her thumbs caressing my cheek, "...but I'm tryin' to keep it, now. In the way that actually matters. I just need you to understand...even if you don't wanna see me when you find out..."

"Find out what?" I asked, lookin' up at her.

She started to speak, but no words were spoken. I could tell it was agonizing for her. I naturally grew concerned as I pulled her closer to me, her wrapping her arms around my neck.

"Talk to me, Jorja..."

"I can't..."

"Yes, you can...I'll help you...we can...we can leave...we can leave home, leave Meg..."

She chuckled as she searched my eyes.

"This isn't something I can run away from, unfortunately..." she uttered, "...but I'd run with you...if I could..."

I sighed defeatedly, our noses touching as my thumb caressed the small of her back. She then looked at me again, this time with light in her eyes as realization seemed to dawn on her.

"Wait..." she said, "...I already...I told you the story! You know this..."

"Jorja, quit playin'..."

"D, I can't tell you outright what's goin' on. But if you figure it out on your own, no one would be in the wrong. I just need you to remember. It was the day we went to the beach last year. What was the story I told you?"

I looked at her before staring off in concentration.

"...about...'The Cold Ones'?" I asked. "You said that was just a tribal myth."

"Was it?" she asked. "Are the Cold Ones really a myth?"

I didn't answer. We both knew they were very much real.

"What else did I tell you?" she pressed.

"That...that the tribe made a treaty with them. That they couldn't come onto your land and...I don't know, I don't remember."

"I need you to try, D."

"You gotta give me more. Tell me where to look. Is there somethin' I'm supposed to see?"

"No...it'd be too dangerous..."

"I'll take that risk. Jorja, show me."

She sent me a sympathetic smile before subtly shaking her head.

"I can't," she uttered. "This is something you have to figure out yourself. But...do me a favor?"

The last time someone asked me that, they broke my heart. But, despite what happened, I still trusted Jorja. After all, she was still here.

"Anything..." I said.

"When you do figure it out...try to remember the girl I used to be...I'm still that girl...just...different..."

Her face drew close to mine before her lips touched my cheek, lingering there for a moment before she made the move to get up.

She smiled at me with those doe-like eyes, me gettin' up to pull her in for a hug. She returned the embrace, leaning against me chest as I held her. When she looked at me, I brought some of her loose hair behind her ear, her chin resting on my chest.

"Stay the night..." I uttered, "...Pop is still keepin' a tight leash on anybody goin' in the woods...it's still not safe..."

She smiled as the back of her finger traced my cheek.

"I'ma big girl..." she uttered back, "...I'll be fine..."

Before I knew it, she was gone. Today has been weird as hell all around. But I could at least rely on the fact that I hadn't lost everything I held dear. I just needed to figure some stuff out...again...

Closure finally won!

Sort of...

D still has to
figure out
what's going on
with Jorja!

Ya'll got any
theories?
👀

Vote and comment!