Chapter Three

For the second time today, Rowan stops in her tracks when she sees me. I smile sheepishly, apologetically, as she bites her lip again, then crosses her arms over her chest defensively. "Bennett Hodge twice in one day," she murmurs. "Although I guess this time is on me."

"Huh?" I wonder, not sure what she means.

"You must have been wearing the coveralls when you came into the diner," she mentions, gesturing at my outfit. "I should have known you'd be here, but I didn't pay enough attention, clearly."

"Oh. Yeah, I was," I tell her, not sure what else to say.

I hear Will come up behind me and hope he's about to bail me out, but I have no such luck. When he sees Rowan, he grins at me and winks. "Go get her, man," he encourages me before returning to the back.

Rowan tilts her head curiously as I rub the back of my back nervously and blow out a breath. "Um, what do you need?"

She holds up a set of keys. "Car's on the fritz. I'm not sure what's wrong, so I figured I should get it looked at."

"We'll let you know as soon as we can," I offer, reaching out to take the keys.

She drops them into my palm so we don't have to touch and I wince slightly, though I'm not surprised. I wasn't good enough for her in high school, and I'm definitely not good enough for her now. Not after I let her down like that.

"Do you have an account with us?" I continue, going to the computer.

She nods and recites her phone number. "If I'm working, you can just come across the street," she points out. "If it's easier, I mean."

"Sure."

She opens her mouth like she's about to say something else, then apparently thinks better of it. She shakes her head, making her messy bun bob, before turning and walking through the door.

Will sticks his head back into the room. "How'd it go?"

"It didn't," I sigh. "I'm going to pull her car around."

I find it in the lot and slip into the front seat, taking a deep breath in. That turns out to be a huge mistake, because the whole car smells like her. There's lavender, and some sort of sweet herb. Basil, maybe, from all the cooking.

She smelled like lavender in high school. Ever since, it's always made me think of her.

I pull the car into the garage and get out to look it over. At the very least, it being her car makes me focus and be the meticulous worker I usually am. I want it to be perfect when I give it back to her.

As soon as I'm done, I head across the street and ask to speak to her when she has a moment. It's not long before she emerges from the kitchen. She leans against the counter, looking like she'd rather be anywhere but here, and waits expectantly.

"You need a few parts replaced. I brought the list," I tell her, setting it on the counter after taking it out of my pocket. "We have to order them, so it will be a few days, at least. Do you have another way to get around in the meantime?"

The town is kind of small, like Will said, so I'm doubting there's a big Uber presence or anything like that.

"I'll manage," she assures me shortly, but she's clearly disappointed.

The words are out of my mouth before I can think to take them back. "I can give you a ride home tonight if you need one."

She taps her fingers on the counter thoughtfully, then finally admits, "I don't think that's such a good idea."

"It's up to you," I quickly promise.

"I... wouldn't want you to have to go out of your way," she explains diplomatically.

It's the perfect out, but I can't seem to take it. I'm about to ask where she lives, but then I realize that she might not want to tell me, so I change direction. "Well, you don't know if it's out of my way," I point out. "I live in the Cedar Hill Apartments."

I raise my eyebrows as she gazes at me for a long moment, then starts to laugh loudly. Her laugh is beautiful, just like the rest of her. It was always one of my favorite sounds. I wasn't expecting to hear it again, though.

"Oh, that's just... perfect," she mutters when she's done. "We live in the same complex. What number are you?"

"308."

She laughs again, and I can't help cracking a smile, despite the situation. When she stops again, she mentions, "We're neighbors. I'm across the hall in 309. I'm surprised we haven't run into each other before now."

"I literally just moved in. You were probably here, I'm guessing."

"Yeah, probably." She shrugs. "Okay. I know enough to understand a sign from the universe when I see one. It would be ridiculous not to accept a ride from you."

"What time do you usually leave?"

"After the dinner rush. My cooks can handle everything after that."

"So about eight?" I guess.

"About."

"I'll come back and get you then."

Several hours later, I make good on my promise and pick her up. She walks beside me as we head to my car, which is parked behind the garage.

She hasn't touched me once, but when we round the corner, she gasps and reaches over to grab my bicep. The touch sends a thrill through my body like nothing I've ever felt before.

"Bennett," she breathes, her eyes wide. "Is that the Conquest?"

"Oh. Yeah, it is. Improved since high school, of course. I've been working on it for a long time. It's cherry now."

"I can see that. Wow."

The 1988 Chrysler Conquest was almost thirty years old when I picked it up in high school, and it was not in good shape. I did enough work on it then so it would run, but once I had the time and resources to really put the proper parts in it, it turned out really well.

I had no idea she'd been so impressed by the car back then. "I didn't think you were into cars," I bring it up as I open the passenger door for her.

"I'm into this car, specifically. Your car."

She blushes, seeming embarrassed that she brought it up, so I don't let on how happy the comment made me. "I'm glad you like it."

I shut the door and head around to the driver's side, feeling a little more secure. Maybe I actually do have a shot at a second chance after all.