Chapter 1

''Wha-''

The brown-haired girl twisted on her chair, her chest heaving with pure rage as she threw a murderous look in the direction of the tall, dark-haired guy now standing in front of her.

''Damon! What was that for?" She practically yelled at him as she shifted to pick up the couch cushion he had tossed at her head.

Damon lifted his shoulders in a nonchalant shrug, an innocent look plastered on his face as he drawled out in a playful tone. ''I have no idea what you're on about, sweetheart.''

Elena gritted her teeth, running her slender digits through her mocha locks. ''God, you're.. Unbelievable,'' she muttered under her breath.

''Ooh, burn.'' Damon grinned and moved to sit down next to her.

Elena rolled her chocolate orbs clock wards, crossing her arms in front of her chest and averting her gaze, refusing to look at him. She breathed out in a huff. ''Jerk.''

Damon's eyebrows flew up at that. "Say what n-" He started, only to be cut off by the front door slamming open.

"Elena? I'm here!" Someone called out, causing her to twist towards the door.

Damon let out a heavy sigh, annoyance covering his features. "You invited the witch?"

Elena turned away from the door to meet his gaze with hers, a look of self-satisfaction on her face. "Got a problem with that?" She asked. "You could just leave, of course. I mean, we live in a free country. You're free to go wherever you please."

Damon pushed himself up, and made his way towards the front door, his foot hesitatingly hovering above the porch before he stood still.

Elena narrowed her brows as he studied his back. What was he doing?

Damon glanced back at her, nodding his head towards the stairs. "I'll be upstairs if you need me."

"Damon, no." Elena started, but he was already gone. "Fine, have it your way!" She called out after him.

Taking a deep breath, Elena turned to look at her friend, Bonnie, who now moved away from where she was standing to take Damon's place.

Elena pulled her legs up, folding them against her chest so she could rest her chin on her knees. "So, you said you wanted to try a new spell?"

Bonnie nodded excitedly and grabbed her bag, emptying its content I the table. "Yes! I've found this," she said, holding up a very old-looking stack of papers. "and it says that with this spell, you should be able to look back in time."

Elena raised her brows. "Why would someone want that?"

Rolling her eyes, Bonnie grabbed Elena by her arms, shaking her lightly. "Oh, come on! Don't play dumb now, Elena.. Remember last week, when you were so frustrated because of Damon and you said that you.. '' Bonnie leaned closer to Elena, lowering her voice. ''And you said that you'd want to know why Damon is.. Well, Damon?

Elena's face instantly lit up and she sat up right, raising her brows at the brunette in front of her. "And you're sure that,'' she motioned with her head towards the papers in Bonnie's hands. ''will work?''

Bonnie rolled her shoulders in a nonchalant shrug. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

Curling her lower lip between her teeth, Elena nodded slowly. Her friend was right. This was the perfect opportunity to find out why Damon always acted so cold-hearted. Elena started playing with her hands, keeping her gaze locked onto the floor. The question had been bothering her ever since she got to know the story of what happened between Katherine and the Salvatore brothers. Once Damon and she had become.. Elena furrowed her brows. They weren't exactly what you could call friends, but they surely didn't hate each other. Either way, Elena knew that Damon was capable of caring, so she was desperate to find out why he never showed anyone that side of him.

She had nothing to lose.

"Let's do it." Elena said, nodding firmly.

Grinning, Bonnie reached for Elena's hands. "Okay. Now all you have to do is think of the moment that you'd like to see. Can you do that?"

Elena dug into her memory and pictured Damon and Stefan together when they were young. She nodded once, taking Bonnie's hands in hers.

Both of the girls closed their eyes, and Bonnie started muttering the spell. Let me go back.

"Puercapillosignisunitatisvid erevelimproferreduo vultus. Parentispuerquimanereinnomin atum,"

Elena drawed in a deep breah, trying to focuss on nothing Else but Damon and Stefan. She swallowed harshly, a cold wind was starting to blow over, causing a shiver to run down her spine. How was that even possible? They were inside and she was pretty sure all the doors were closed. There was a loud bang. The sound of breaking glasses and she felt Bonnie's hands slip away from hers. Elena shifted on her seat, starting to feel really uncomfortable.

"Doceme quaerere quidagas. Dimitte me vivere rursus dirigitur!"

Bonnie had started chanting louder now, as Elena's hands slipped away from hers. Something was wrong. She tried to open her eyes, but they stayed closed, the magical words spilling from her lips like it was her native. She couldn't stop it.

Then, she suddenly became quiet. The wind was gone, the endless stream of words had stopped and.. Bonnie's hands were empty.

Her eyes snapped open, only to find an empty room. There was broken glass everywhere. She was alone.

"Elena?" She called out, shakily, her eyes quickly scanning the surrounding.

Footsteps approached from upstairs and Bonnie looked up in the hope to see Elena, but her face fell.

Damon knitted his brows together as he stood at the bottom of the stairs and glanced around the room. Place trashed. Bonnie with an utter lost expression on her face. But most important of all, no Elena.

"Dammit!"