13. puzzled feelings

Soon after they have the cake, Rida unboxes her gift.
"Oh my god, it is so pretty." Sadia compliments.
"It is just a bag, Sadia. You've so many prettier than this." Rushda says.
"They ain't Chanel."
"Also, Sheryaar...I mean Samaira told me to tell you that Sheryaar wants you to know that BTS is Korean, not Chinese." Rida says softly.
"Ask him to shut up," Rushda replies exasperatedly.
"Wait, you guys had a conversation? About BTS?" Sadia interrupts.
Rushda looks away, annoyed. Rida keeps looking at her for an answer.
"Tell me," Sadia says.
"Why would I have a conversation with him?"
"Then what does he mean by that?" She asks suspiciously.
"I don't know." Sadia continued to look suspiciously at her.
"Do you trust your best friend or that stranger?"
"Come on, he's not a stranger."
"He is."
"Yeah, for you."

*****

Samaira wakes up to her alarm ringing. She sat up as she dismissed it. She hears a knock on her door.
"Yes?"
"It's me, Adil."
"Adil? Come in."
Adil walks in with a smile. Samaira looked at him as he sat on the couch.
"When did you come?" Samaira asks.
"Yesterday night. Aunty insisted me to stay so I was here. I'm leaving now so thought to meet you otherwise you would have been upset with me." Samaira chuckles.
"So, where did you guys hang out all day?" Samaira says as she untied her messy bun.
"We randomly roamed around and then we went to Sheryaar's friend's place to surprise her. It's her birthday."
"Her?"
"Yeah. Rida, her name." Adil says as he recalls.
Samaira confusedly looks at him.
"But Rida was at the event with me, yesterday night."
"Yeah, Sheryaar told me he didn't find Rida so he handed over the gifts to her sister."
"Even her sister was at the event. No...no... she had gone home for a while."
"Also, I had to ask you something," Adil says in a low voice.
"Does Sheryaar keep falling every other girl?"
"Bhai? Nah."
"Then it's definitely serious."
"What do you mean?"
"So, he met this girl at Rida's place. Most probably it is her sister. And he has been acting as if he's been in love with her forever."
"What?"
"I mean- maybe he has a crush on her."
Samaira looks on.

*****

Sadia is in bed, lying on her stomach, and scrolling her feed. She finds Sheryaar and Rida's paparazzi video.
'What the heck? Is that actually Rida?' She thought as she sat up, to look carefully. She starts checking when the video was posted. She realizes that it's the same day when Rida came home late.

She quickly leaves the room to find her. She finds her in her bedroom, sitting along with Rushda.
"Rida, do you mind coming with me for a few minutes?" Sadia asks her sarcastically while she keeps looking at Rushda.
Rushda who was reading her book, looks up at them.
"What happened?"
"Nothing, I just want to get something done by Rida. You continue." Rida confusedly looks at Sadia.
Rushda goes back to reading after glancing at them.
Rida looked at Sadia as she held her by her arm.
"Get up." Sadia angrily whispers to her. Rida gets off the bed. Sadia drags her to the guest room, holding her by her wrist.

"What is this?", Sadia asked as she showed her the video.
Rida gulps as she sees the video.
"What did you promise to Rushda?" Sadia reminds. Rida looks away.
"Let me go and tell Rushda, what you have been doing her back," Sadia says as she starts walking out.
Rida holds her wrist. "And I'll tell her about Saad," Rida says, looking at her.
Sadia looks at her, widening her eyes. "So you're going to blackmail me?"
"Yes, I'm."
"You're betraying her."
"He just helps me with my studies."
"What do you mean? You meet him on a daily basis?"
"Yes."
"Okay, why did you go to a mall with him?" Sadia inquires.
"It was the first time." Rida quickly replies.
"I asked why, Rida?"
"Because he asked."
"Why would he ask you?"
"What do you mean by that?" Rida confusedly asks.
"This definitely means he is more than just a senior to you."
"Yeah, a friend."
"And tell this to your father."
"Yes, the day I decide to tell him about Saad." Sadia fumes up in anger.
"See, you keep your mouth shut and I'll keep mine shut."
"Why are you doing this to yourself and Rushda?"
"I've no other option. I needed coaching and Baba refused. Now, Sheryaar is helping me with my studies and we have become friends. What is wrong with that?"
"You'll know what's wrong when your father comes to know about it. The career you keep crying for will end even before it starts."
"Can you stop it? I'm trying to just study and have some friends."
"You shouldn't have promised then."
"Stop making it a big deal," Rida says walking out of the room, irritatedly.