These men, though, even though I don't know them as well as I know Val, feel like home. A real home. They each seem to complete something that was missing in my life. It's like my life puzzle is finally complete with all of them.

Valarie smiles, nodding. "Yeah, he is. And he keeps up with my banter, which is a plus."

I laugh. "True. Not many can do that."

Valarie's eyes meet mine. "Speaking of keeping up, how are you doing, Em? Really."

I take a deep breath. "I'm okay, Val. Today helped. Being around friends helped."

She squeezes my hand. "I'm glad. And whenever you're ready to talk more, I'm here."

Just then, Fowler comes back into the room. "Sorry about that," he says, sitting back down. "Where were we?"

Valarie grins. "I was about to give you nightmares with my nursing stories."

Fowler chuckles. "I'm ready. Scare away."

As Valarie launches into a story about a particularly tricky emergency case, I can't help but feel a sense of peace wash over me. Here I am, sandwiched between two amazing people who care about me. People who make me laugh and let me be myself.

As Valarie dives into another nursing horror story, Locke and Cruz walk out of the shared bathroom, both with water droplets on their skin.

"Hey, room for two more?" Locke asks, his eyes already glued to the TV screen.

Fowler pauses the movie and looks over at them. "As long as you can handle Valarie's nightmare-inducing nursing tales, you're welcome."

Locke grins and takes a seat on the floor, leaning back against the couch between Valarie and me. Cruz sits beside him, a warm smile on his face. "We're game," Locke says. "Besides, I've got a few wild stories of my own."

Valarie leans forward, intrigued. "Oh, do share."

Cruz laughs, looking at Locke. "You sure you want to go down that rabbit hole?"

Locke smirks. "Why not? It's a night for stories and friends, right?"

I feel a warmth spread through me at his words. Friends. Yes, that's what we are. And right now, that's exactly what I need.

"So, what's this movie we're diving into?" Cruz asks, glancing at the paused screen.

Fowler picks up the remote. "It's a classic rom-com. Perfect for a chill night in."

As the movie resumes, I find myself drifting in and out of the story on screen, more absorbed in the story unfolding right here in this room. The laughter, the shared glances, the way Cruz's hand occasionally brushes Locke's as they both reach for popcorn. It's like watching a dance—a dance I'm now a part of.

At some point, Valarie's head ends up on my shoulder, her even breathing telling me she's drifted off to sleep. Locke, too, looks like he's dozing, his head tilted back, a peaceful look on his face.

Fowler catches my eye and smiles, a soft, genuine smile that makes me feel seen, right down to my core. His hand finds mine, our fingers locking together. "This is nice," he whispers, so as not to wake the others.

I nod, my eyes meeting his. "It really is."

And for the first time in a long time, I feel at home. Not in a place, but among people. Friends who are quickly becoming my family.

And as I look around at these sleeping and semi-awake faces, I can't help but feel grateful. Grateful for friends who feel like family, and for this moment of simple, pure happiness.