17

"I guess I should take these out." I muttered to Steve taking out the little ear pieces that deafened the noise of the world. "Can't read a robots mind." The engine of the jet was a constant hum and the sound of the turbines were a like a beating drum.

Steve surveyed the silent jet. I noticed him staring at the twins who were practically huddling together in the back. They were both ridiculously nervous, and not at all confident, especially Wanda. Pietro was babying her by checking on her every three seconds. She looked tired, and breakable. Her eyes were focused on the ground, but every now and then she looked at Pietro. While Wanda was keeping a calm outer shell, Pietro always seemed to be on a caffeine high. He was restless, bouncing his leg, fidgeting with his clothes, hair, Wanda.

"I almost feel bad for them." Steve murmured to me. I glared at him, I wasn't ready to forgive Wanda for what she had done to me. She had helped them, she was a spineless puppet acting like she had validation in changing sides. I hated her. "I said almost." Steve defended.

"I don't. When you sign up for this, you should know the price is heavier than the rewards."

"She's a kid."

"And you weren't? I wasn't? We were kids too when we went through with what we did."

Steve sighed next to me, "Come on, now isn't the time."

"I know, I know." I agreed nodding my head. Now wasn't the time to get angry. Now was the time to focus.

I got up out of my seat and sat down next to Bruce, who was a seven PhD recipient twiddling with his thumbs. He glanced up as I sat down next to him. I leaned back in the seat and crossed my arms. He leaned back too. "Look, I know you don't want to fight."

"I'm a danger to the civilians. I can't, I shouldn't." He argued

"We're evacuating the city first."

"Anna, I can't. The Hul–he's a monster. I'm a monster. I can't–"

"Okay," I conceded, which surprised him a little. "I'm not going to make you fight anyone. You know that. But, I am going to ask you to help. We need you to get Nat out, can you do that?"

"What about Barton?"

"We need him to help keep a perimeter."

"Yeah, I'll do it."

"Okay," I said patting his leg. Before I got up I told him, "Thank you Bruce, and if you decide to stick around, this is definitely a code green. And just so you know being a monster can just mean you're scarier than your demons, so embrace it. It's a part of you, it's a part of all of us."

"You have no fear do you." He remarked with a small smile.

"Oh, you know thats not true." I replied smiling. I moved back to my former seat and Tony caught my eye. He was smirking to himself. When I asked him why, he just shook his head.

Sokovia was alarmingly silent. It sat unmoving, like a ghost town, waiting for its final reckoning. Stepping out, I wondered if the people of Sokovia knew. I wondered if they knew deep down that what was about to take place would irreversibly change history. There was minimal traffic, barely anyone was outside walking. Everyone was inside.

"Get them out. Do anything you can." Steve ordered us. Tony flew ahead looking for Ultron. Bruce was sent to get Nat. Wanda and I were sent to opposite sides of the city. Grazing my hand against Steve's, I left him hoping I'd see him before everything started.

Standing in the middle of an intersection, I closed my eyes. The brains of people begging for peace filled my brain. I tried to reach as many as I could, making them come out in herds. I wasn't nearly as powerful as Wanda, but I was enough.