Tell me.

(You and Daryl have been in a relationship for a while now. You are situated in Alexandria with a house to yourselves)

You were sat on the couch reading when you heard the front door, it must be Daryl returning from his recruiting mission with Aaron.

You wait for his strong hands to ruffle your hair from behind the sofa. Instead you hear him kick off his boots and he goes straight up the stairs, you turn around and you only just catch a glimpse of him going up the stairs.

You hear him go into the bathroom and turn on the shower, you decide that he probably just wants to clean himself up before coming to see you.

About ten minutes pass and you hear him exit the bathroom but he doesn't come downstairs. You start to worry, Daryl would usually be happy to see you, what's different?

You put your book down and start to head upstairs. You realise he's in your shared bedroom.

You stop outside the door and knock. You hear him clear his throat before answering.

"Yeah?"

"Can I come in?"

"Mhm"

You gently push the door open, Daryl is sat on the edge of the bed with some sleep shorts and no shirt, his wet hair is messy and all over his face.

You decide to sit next to him, placing a hand on his knee.

He flinches.

"D...? Are ya okay? Ya haven't said anythin to me since you got home."

Daryl does that nod he does when he's not sure of himself.

"Yeah... sorry, m'fine... you?"

Your eyebrows furrow.

"You sure? Anything happen out there? You can tell me... want ya to tell me"

He still doesn't look in your direction.

When he speaks he sounds frustrated but you can't tell if it's toward you or himself.

"Nothing happened y/n, I'm fine."

You don't believe his bullshit cover up.

"Hey, look at me?"

He stays silent for a bit and then he starts to lift his head toward you very slowly but his hair still covers his eyes.

"Daryl, I know something is bothering you... you ain't good at hiding it"

You gently stroke his hair out of his face. His eyes are red rimmed and he averts his gaze. You can now tell how extremely nervous he seems.

"I'm gonna give you a choice. You can speak to me and tell me what's hurtin' or I can give you a hug and we can talk later. What would you prefer?"

He shrugs and it's silent for about five seconds until he chokes on a quiet sob. He quickly turns his head away and faces his body away.

"Hey... we're not doing this... c'mere"

You hold his shoulders and make him face you as you pull him into a hug.

He pushes his face into the crook of your neck to try silence himself but it seems he can't hold on anymore. He sobs loudly into your shoulder as his shoulders shake.

You pull him closer so he's almost sat on your lap and you soothingly rub up and down his back with one hand whilst the other cradles the back of his head.

"Ssshh ssshhh... it's alright Daryl... let it out baby boy I got you... it's safe, you're safe"

You gently kiss the top of his head.

"I-I'm s-s-sorry... c-can't.... I can't..."

"Don't apologise sweet boy, just let it out, we'll talk when you're ready"

You start to rock gently.

After a few minutes his crying calms a bit so you pull him away from your body and hold his face. He tries to push his face downwards toward your chest out of humiliation.

"Ah ah... look at me"

You hold his face and use your thumbs to dry his cheeks. His beautifully tired blue eyes squint at you through his hair.

"Don't hide from me Dixon. It's okay to feel, ya hear me?"

He averts his gaze again.

"Hey. Said d'ya hear me?"

His voice is barely above a whisper and is noticeably strained.

"...yes..."

"Good, I love you Daryl and whatever it is that's bothering you is important okay? Your feelings are extremely important to me"

He nods.

You kiss his forehead.

"C'mere"

You lay back and he follows. He lays his head on your chest and you gently play with his hair. He would never let anyone see him this way but he needs it.

He needs you.

You lay in silence for a while.

"Y/n?"

"Hmm?"

You hear him exhaling a shaky breath.

"...I love you..."

You smile and rub your thumb against the back of his neck where his spine starts.

"I know... I love you too, Daryl."

You were extremely proud of Daryl and you were sure you'd tell him but right now he needed rest, so you let him drift off on your chest and you eventually gave into sleep too.