18

“I don’t think you understand, though. Being a woman is hard fucking work. Imagine if you had to bleed for a full week every arsehole month.” Fernanda huffs, as we walk to college. “And, on top of that, tampons are fucking expensive in this shithole, so I spend a tonne of cash on that.” 

“I’m sure it’s a headache.” I mumble, pressing my hands to my cheeks to lessen the numbness. It’s freezing cold outside today, and Thomas had to leave early for uni, so he couldn't drop us off. “We seriously need to get our driving licences.” I say, and Fernanda raises her eyebrow at me. 

“Excuse me, Theodore Moore. I’m trying, okay? Shit’s expensive these days. It doesn’t help that my dad doesn’t care enough to help pay for it, so I have to save up for lessons, as well.” She rolled her eyes, and I brought her in for a side hug by resting my arm on her shoulders. 

“How are you doing, though? You know, with the whole…” I shrugged my shoulders. Fernanda sighs heavily, glancing up at me for a second. 

“I’m alright.” She says, quietly, and I raise my eyebrow at her. “Seriously, everything’s fine. I’m taking it day by day. Anyways, what about you?” She asked, swiftly changing the subject. I rolled my eyes at her. “I feel like we haven’t talked about you in ages.” 

“Well…” I itch my eyebrow with my spare hand. “I kissed someone.” I press my lips together, and Fernanda’s mouth drops open in shock. 

“What the fuck, seriously? Who?” She asked, and I licked my lips. 

“I can’t say, but… it was a good kiss. It felt nice.” I told her, and the grin on her face widened. 

“Oh my Gosh, Theo! I’m so happy for you, you know that? You deserve it.” She smiled, wrapping her hands around my arm and pressing her cheek to my bicep. “You better see this guy again and take him on a date, or something.” She tells me, and I gulp. 

“I don’t think he’ll want to go on a date with me.” I say, quietly. The way Antony left in such a hurry yesterday morning… he didn’t even say goodbye. He didn’t say anything. He just… left. Almost as if he regretted it, but I can’t assume anything without talking to him first. If he’ll talk to me. 

“Why not?” Fernanda frowns. 

“He doesn’t seem like the type to go on dates. Or commit to relationships as a whole, but… it was a stupid kiss, anyways. He probably didn’t even mean it.” 

“Have you asked him?” She asked, and I shook my head. “Well, do that, then.” Nanda rolls her eyes. “It’s the only way you’ll know for sure, Theo.” She tells me, and I hum in agreement. The kiss still ran through my head like a nightmare, and I wasn’t sure how I felt about that. 

-

Fernanda invited me back to her flat after college, and I reluctantly agreed. “Don’t worry,” She had said, noticing the hesitance on my face. “I doubt anybody will be home.” 

Now, I walked through her flat, closing the front door behind me as she led me to the couch, flopping onto it. I sit beside her as she pulls her legs onto my lap, and I rest my hands on her ankles as she grabs the remote and turns on the television. “Wanna watch a movie?” She asked, and I nodded my head. 

“Sure.” I mumble, leaning my head onto the back of the couch and closing my eyes. “But, I doubt I’ll concentrate.” I smile, and Fernanda digs the sole of her foot into my stomach. “Ow!” I yell, grabbing  a cushion. “What was that for?” I smack the pillow onto her face, and she swats it away, grabbing the pillow from underneath her head and throwing it at me. 

A haughty laugh leaves my throat and my head falls back. Then, the sound of the front door opening scares the shit out of me and I move the pillow from my face just as Antony enters the house. I freeze, watching as he shrugs off his coat and shakes his hair. 

Fernanda sits up just as Antony looks up, his eyes landing on me. He merely glances at me before walking away. I heard the door to his bedroom slamming behind me, but I couldn’t bear to look. Maybe it hurt me more than I’d like to admit that he was ignoring me, or maybe it was the pain that he opened up to me that night, but now it’s like I don’t even exist to him. 

I swallow and shake my head, forcing myself to forget about him. I don’t want to be cast aside or forgotten. All I want is an explanation.