Ch.36

Spencer's P.O.V

It's been a few weeks since my head injury and I realized that I can't take life for granted because anything can happen with a blink of an eye. I'm so happy to be alive, but now I'm facing another situation that could determine not only my career but my future with everything else.

Flashback

"Spencer"? Liv looked at me with tears in her eyes as she was relieved that I was finally awake.

"Hey, Liv. How long was I out?"

"Too long."

"No. Please tell me I didn't-" Liv cuts me off.

"No Spencer. I'm still pregnant and our son is still dying to see us."

"Did we win?"

Olivia laughs "Yes. You won the game, but it came at a price that had the family worried and holding on to their breaths. Speaking of which, I'm gonna go tell them and the doctor that you're awake. Baby, you had me so worried, but I'm so happy you're here."

"Of course I am."

"I love you, Spencer James." Liv kisses me with passion and starts to head out.

Shortly after that, my doctor walked in and gave me an update on my head injury.

"Hi Spencer. Welcome back."

"Thanks, doc. It's good to be back. So how long before I can get back on the field?"

"Spencer...this head injury you suffered was very severe and we're still waiting on the results, but this isn't the first time I've experienced this kind of head injury. These types of head injuries are life-threatening and if these results come back positive, you can't play football anymore Spencer. It would be too dangerous. Now I can't stop you, but if you were to play through this with those results, and you get hit like that again, you would be fighting for your life. I may not know you that well Spencer, but you have people who care about and I would tell them the truth."

"I will."

The doctor walks out and Liv comes in with the rest of the family.

"Hey, Spencer. You look sad, is everything okay?"

"Hi, Liv. Everything's fine and couldn't be better." I smiled at her as it was far from the truth.

End of Flashback

After finding out that I could potentially no longer play football, it felt like everything that I worked so hard for was taken away from me. But what I was most worried about was how Liv would take the news. How am I supposed to tell her that I wouldn't be able to provide for our family if the Rams decided to release me because of my injury? If I told the truth, would she leave me and take the kids? I can't take that risk. The people you love, they're the only ones who could hurt you. I can't take that risk and lose Olivia again.

I decided to invite Jordan and my mom over to Slauson's Cafe and tell them the truth. Jordan was my teammate, but also my brother and I knew he would understand where I was coming from. As for my mom, even if I decided to keep this from her, she could read a room if something was off and I decided that it would be best to tell her.

"Hey, y'all. Thanks for coming on short notice, but there's something I've been wanting to get off my chest."

"Of course. What is it, Spencer?" My mom asks.

"So you know how I told you everything seemed fine with my head injury?"

"Yeah."

"Well. I lied."