The only way to remove the potion from the basin, exposing the medallion at the bottom, was to drink it. The potion caused Regulus unbearable pain and forced them to relive their worst memories and face their worst fears as if he were in a nightmare, and if he still had the strength from all that and the agonizing thirst, he went for water, where anyone else would have just died like Regulus almost did.

Until then, the Dark Lord with all his intelligence and malice had not considered that a house elf's magic could circumvent at least one of his barriers, the only one that gave Regulus a chance to survive; Monster can Apparate from the small island not once, but twice.

But this wasn't the time to point out how ignorant Voldemort was about non-wizard magic. The point to watch at the moment is how he got access to the Black Vault, and why he chose that place to keep a piece of his soul.

Regulus wouldn't begin to despise the quality of security at the goblin bank, but he's sure that like his parents, Voldemort despised them, thought them inferior and all. So how, why, and how? And even though Voldemort disregarded the vault's security — which makes no sense if he kept a Horcrux there — he would not have access to the Blacks' vault without a Black's authorization. Regulus knows that his father and mother would never let the man have access, however much they support the cause, that would be too much even for them.

That leaves Sirius, Andromeda, Narcissa, and Bellatrix.

Andromeda didn't even have access to the vault after she was disowned, of course, Regulus undid that, but still, the answer is no. Narcisa wasn't a Death Eater, Lucius is another case, but he doesn't have access to the vault married to Cissa or not.

Would the Dark Lord trust something like a Horcrux into the hands of his Death Eaters?Well, he asked to borrow an elf, but that wasn't exactly trusting a Death Eater, he never mentioned what the mission was even to the elf, and the Lord also didn't expect Kreacher to survive all of this.

However, it is possible that he would give a Horcrux - without telling the truth, of course - to someone to hide it, but it would have to be someone he knew loyalty to.

Blind loyalty is hard to come by, even among Death Eaters if mass desertion after his downfall is any indication.

Sirius didn't believe he was, but he could be wrong. 0.001% of him being wrong and his brother had done what he's accused of doing, but Sirius doesn't have access to the vault since he too was disinherited. front of an Avada for him.

"I believe Bellatrix kept it in my family's vault."

"Why not the Lestrange family?" Dumbledore asks when he finishes the spells.

Regulus stares at the object, now magically proven to be a Horcrux.

"She may have transferred the cup after the Longbottoms, after all the Lestrange vault is now under ministry control, but mine is not.

"I see" Dumbledore took the cup in hand, analyzing it "Interesting" The Headmaster was silent for a long moment, his brows slightly furrowed "I believe this is Hufflepuff's Cup."

"Didn't the cup disappear decades ago?" Regulus asked leaning forward, as much as he wanted to distance himself from her like a Horcrux, it was still fascinating to see a relic of the founders like that. It's a shame she was corrupted like that "Do you think he transformed the others too?"

"Yes, she disappeared in the mid-fifties as far as I know"—Dumbledore set his goblet down on the table between them—"following the murder of Heptziba Smith, an heiress of Hufflepuff. As for the sword of Gryffindor, I don't believe he transformed it, it's been sitting here in my office since before I became Headmaster.