Not-So-Buried Treasure

He started to run.

"Nope!"

Luffy stretched his arm and grabbed him by the hair.
---------------------------------------------------------
The guy was persistent, so he kept running. Luffy had a dopey grin before he was launched forward. He crashed into the guy, and they both went flying.

They went over a cliff. The guy was screaming, and luffy was laughing. Nami and usopp spoke in unison.

"Luffy!"

He grabbed onto a root that was sticking out the side of the cliff and caught the guy too. I let out a sigh and physically relaxed.

"So you DO care, Island girl."

Zoro had a coy smirk.

"Shut it, moss for brains."

I lightly hit his arm. We didn't really fight anymore. It was mostly teasing.

The guy almost reached the water before luffy was able to pull him back up. The two launched up towards the top of the cliff where we were.

I caught the guy, and luffy landed next to me.

"Nice one, Y/n!"

The guy was weirdly heavy.

"Damn, how old are you, dude?"

"IT DOESN'T MATTER! PUT ME DOWN!"

"Yeah, so you can run away? It's not happening."

He started kicking, flailing his arms and shouting. I held him away from me by the hair.

Once everything had calmed down, we all sat around a fire I'd made.

"So. Why are you even here on this island, Bush Dude?"

"For the last time, MY NAME IS GAIMON!"

I rolled my eyes.

"Whatever, just answer me."

He sighed. "I wasn't always like this."

"No shit."

"My life changed when I was searching for treasure on the island with my crew. While searching, I fell from a high cliff and directly into an empty treasure chest at the bottom. My crew considered me a lost cause and left me stranded here."

"That's super depressing."

"Shut it, island girl."

Gaimon continued with his story. "Over the next twenty years, the treasure chest became a part of my body and couldn't be removed without killing me. However, I can still use my hands, head, and feet."

"And over time, I shrank to fit the chest. But because of that, I can't scale the cliff to the treasure anymore. I managed to befriend the animals on the island and developed a close bond with them. To protect my treasure and friends, I don't allow any visitors."

"Sometimes, though, they aren't easy to scare away. So I just take the more direct route of shooting them with a pistol."

He pulled a golden pistol out of his afro. I reached out to touch it, and he pointed it at me. I backed up with my hands up, and zoro pulled out his sword.

He hit the pistol out of Gaimon's hand immediately. We all stared at him for a moment.

"Don't threaten my friends."

Oh. My. God.

I was absolutely never going to let him forget that he called us his friends.

Zoro saw the smug look on my face and sighed, knowing his mistake.

Gaimon started yelling at us again. "NOW GET OFF MY ISLAND!"

I sighed. "Wow, so gentle and kind. I feel so inclined to help-"

"We'll help you!"

"DAMMIT, LUFFY!"

I pushed him off the log he'd been sitting on.

"You ruined my sarcasm with your idiotic brain!"

Luffy sat up, grumbling. He rubbed the back of his head.

"So! How do we help you, Bush guy?"

"Did you not hear what I just said?"

"I need to find the treasure. It's up there on that mountain."

"Oh my god, he's not screaming. And if you know where it is, you don't need to find it. You just need to get to it."

"SHUT UP!"

"There it is."

Luffy turned towards the large formation. He started climbing it.

"Don't die!"

He looked down and gave two thumbs up with a dopey smile, causing him to fall. I sighed.

"Idiot."

I grabbed a rock at the base of the mountain and started to climb. I was a bit nervous but didn't let it bother me.

"This is fine. You're fine. Just climb."

I heard a bird call and looked over at it. A giant hawk swooped in at me. I shut my eyes and pressed against the mountain.

It kept trying to bite me. Or scratch me. I couldn't tell. It bit my hand, and I let go.
---------------------------------------------------------
Zoro watched as Y/n fell from halfway up the rock structure. His heart dropped, and he put his arms out, catching her easily. Her face was of pure terror.

His heart was pounding as he held onto her.

"You're fine, weirdo. I've got you."

His way of comforting her, while a bit crude, surprisingly worked.
---------------------------------------------------------
There was no chance I was ever doing that again. I was shaking, my heart pounding, my eyes were wide, and my breathing was labored.

"Okay, Luffy, your turn again."

He looked up at the rock structure thing and made a fist. He pulled back and punched, his arm stretching to the top of it.

I stared at him in shock as he launched up to the top. He returned with five treasure chests.

"...what?"

"WHAT. THE HELL. WAS THAT."

"I think you scared her."

"Shut it, zoro."

So that was the devil fruit Nami had mentioned to me. I thought it was something simple like water control.

But it turns out my captain is a terrifying stretch armstrong person who has absolutely no common sense.

Luffy turned the chest so it was facing Gaimon, and he opened it. Then, he froze and let out a cry of despair.

"What's his deal?"

Usopp shrugged.

"Hair problems?

"Ha."

Gaimon was very dramatic, crying, and yelling. He looked like a slightly smaller toddler.

"Are you gonna explain or what?"

He spun one of the chests around, and to our dismay, it was empty.

"You mean it was empty?!"

"We wasted our time for nothing but an empty box!"

Luffy and Nami joined the dramatic antics. Nami kicked a chest, and luffy punched a tree.

If I'm being honest, it was pretty entertaining.

A while later, we were off again, sailing to wherever our next destination was.

Gaimon had decided to stay on the island to protect his friends, and I could understand that.