Chapter 7 - Heart to Heart

Start from the beginning

"But then there's Gavin." Nicole questions.

"Kick him to the curb. You are so worthy of more than that shit." I said smiling at her, "If it wasn't for Chantel, even I would sweep you off your feet, because you deserve it."

Nicole smiles at me shyly, " Thank you."

I pull Nicole into my arms.

"Hey Nikkers?"

"Yeah Cody?"

"How do I win over Chantel?"

I feel Nicole pull away. She smiles at me, "Be her friend, Cody. I think Chantel needs a friend more than a boyfriend."

Now it's my turn to look away. It wasn't the answer I was looking for.

"Chantel needs time to grow. Maybe if you're less sarcastic and more kind to Chantel, maybe, just maybe, something could happen." Nicole says to me.

I smile at her. I guess I knew that. I was just hoping for an easy answer. But then again, do I want to hurt Chantel? We would only date for a short time and right now, I like the way things are between Chantel and me, as long as she has no boyfriend. Because when that day comes, her beautiful smile will be for someone else and I don't think I could live with that.

"So less sassy and more friendly?" I summarize.

Nicole nods her head.

"So, be like Chris, waiting on the sidelines." I confirm in a challenging manner.

"Don't." Nicole says in a destand voice.

"Tell me Nicole, how's Chris chances with you while he's being your friend?" I ask as I cross my arms in front of Nicole.

She stands her ground and looks at me with a serious face, " better chance than you do with Chantel." She says as she makes her way back in the room, "Stop playing matchmaker Cody. It doesn't suit you." She closes the door.

I smile. So Chris might have a chance with Nicole after all. I love getting under my friend's skin. It's a dirty job and I get in a lot of shit with them, but that's when you get to know what they're really thinking.

I make my way into the room. Chantel was sitting in the bed in her pjs, with the blanket over her legs and some blue plastic shit on her face. Chris' sitting on the other bed changing the channels on the motel tv. Rico set up his bed on the floor and is doing push ups.

"Hey Cody, check the tv. If we pay another hundred dollars we can open the porn channels." Chris says, smiling at me.

"Gross Chris!" Chantel reacts in a repulsive manner.

I take the opportunity to be 'a friend', "Yeah Chris, you sick bastard."

We hear Nicole laughing in the washroom. Yeah she's right, that's not me, "Never mind, good job Chris!" I tell Chris as I high five him, "I think they take cards."

"NO!" Chantel jumps up onto her knees, pulling the blue plastic stuff off her face.

"Chantel, are you wearing your bra?" I ask hoping she wasn't.

"Of course I am," she says as she hides herself under the blankets.

" I thought you girls don't sleep with them on?" I ask knowing the answers, duh, I have an older sister.

"Fuck off Cody. Go back to your sick minded conversation about the porn." Chantel retaliates.

I smile at Chantel. I love it when she's fired up, " We're not getting the porn, relax over there," I slowly sway myself towards her, " but we can make our own videos tonight."

Chantel screams, 'Nicole get out here!!!"

"The bodyguard is called." Rico announces, laughing.

I crawl on the bed to Chantel, "That won't stop me Chantel. I'm going to tickle you!" I say as I move my fingers in front of me.

Chantel puts the covers over herself, scramming in laughter as I tickle her through the blankets.

" I'm going to pee!" She screams from underneath.

I laugh, "if that's how i get you wet the first time, I'll take it."

Nicole comes out of the washroom and jumps on me.

"Oh shit. Stop Nicole!!" I yell as Nicole starts to tickle me, "I hate being tickled."

Nicole deviously laughs, "I know!" She says.

"Okay! Okay! I'll stop!!" I say as I lift my arms in the air. Chantel comes out from under the blankets. Her cornrow braids are still intact but are wrapped around her neck. Chantel looks different so close up. I notice that she had washed all that junk off her face.

"Why are you staring at me, Cody?" Chantel asks in a concerning voice.

I look into her eyes, "You look beautiful without all that makeup piled on your face."

Chantels starts to move uncomfortably covering her face with her hands, "Stop Cody."

I gently take her hand away from her face. I can't help but gently touch her eyebrows and drown the side of her cheek. I touch the tip of her nose with my thumb and gently follow it down the bridge of her nose and I end at her chin. I study her naked face, the real Chantel, "This is my favorite look on you." Chantel seems to freeze when I say this to her. I got her attention, "Never forget that I said this to you when you live your life."

"I think this trip has made us all sentimental." Chris says breaking the silence after my words.

I get off the bed and grab my bag, " My turn in the washroom." I close the door and sit on the edge of the tub. I hear my best friends talking in the other room. I put my head in my hands. I was so close to kissing Chantel. She probably would've slapped me across my face, but it would be worth it. But then she would ignore me forever. She'd probably call her parents to come get her and blab about what we're doing.

Not yet Cody, I tell myself.
Stick to the plan, then focus on Chantel.