Chapter Thirty Four

Start from the beginning

Shit.

"Is that why you don't like her?" I asked turning to look at her.

"Getting involved with a married woman would only hurt you Kaden and she knows. People in those cases rarely leave their husbands. And by the looks of it she didn't. So yes, I don't like her because of it, I knew she would hurt you."

And that she did.

Jessie didn't even have to say anything to do so. She had told me we would talk later after that night at Elizabeth's and we did talk... if you can call her telling me for two straight days that she couldn't text because she was busy with work and then disappearing on me and never replying to my texts again talking.

I tried reaching out, I tried texting, calling, going over to the house— shit even going to her work, but she was always in a meeting or not there. I gave up after almost two weeks of chasing.

I haven't heard from her in a month. Six week, nearly two months. Not a word.

I'm so stupid.

"It was nothing, mom. You don't have to worry about it." I mumbled and focused my attention back to the outside of the car.

"I'm just sayi—"

"Can we just not talk about this?" I interrupted her, "Please mom."

She stayed quiet for a moment, "Okay, I'll drop it."

"Thank you." I mumbled.

"Are you going to the gathering then?" She asked once the car came to a stop in front of my building.

"Yeah, I will pass by... will you?"

"Your dad asked me to come with him, so yes." My mom answered with a smile plastered on her face—it made one of my own appear.

At least someone here can be happy and I'm glad is them.

"You didn't have to come with me." I looked at Divya as we got out of her car.

"What? And leave you alone to watch Jessie all over her husband while you mop around? No way." She clung her arm around my good one as we began walking towards the house.

"It's not like I care." I muttered.

"You do and that's okay. It doesn't make you an idiot, it makes you human." Divya smiled at me. "Now let's go and get this over with."

"My dad said I only had to show up, I could leave after a while if I wanted." I said entering the house, the door being opened for the guests.

"Is he here already?"

I hummed, "We are kinda half an hour late."

"You didn't tell me that."

I smiled to some of the people we passed by, "Well I wasn't in a hurry."

"Kaden!"

I turned around to the voice of my dad—who had my mom at arm, like I had Divya. "Dad, mom."

"You are late." He said to me as my mom greeted my roommate.

"I lost track of time, sorry." I lied.