Chapter 9: Starting Off Rough

The next day, the Champions were woken bright and early to go to a battle meeting. Link was one of the first there, and they tapped their foot on the ground with their hands clasped, staring off into space.

"...Link? Link!" Zelda was saying, trying to get their attention.

"Sorry, I wasn't paying attention. Say that again?" They signed, giving her an apologetic look.

She sighed, she didn't look angry, but worried. "I was asking if you got any sleep last night. You look exhausted. Are you alright?"

Link felt embarrassed. Did they really look that bad? "I slept a little less than normal, just tired after all the traveling. I'm fine thought, thank you for checking."

Zelda didn't seem to buy it. Link glanced to the side. She's not stupid, obviously. But they didn't want to talk about it. Link looked up as he heard the sound of chattering. The four Champions walked in, talking cheerfully. Zelda rose from her seat to greet them, smiling. And then they felt that pang of jealously again. It was so easy for her to talk to them... they couldn't do that. Sure, there were bigger problems than their communication issues but... it still hurt sometimes. Soon after, Impah and Purah entered the room.

"My apologies for being late." Impah said. "We got a little sidetracked."

"The Guardians look like they're making great progress!" Purah cut in. Her eyes were practically glowing. "Oh it's so exciting!"

King Rhoam got everyone seated before beginning the meeting. 

"If we're ready, let us begin." He said, as the servants passed out breakfast. "The Divine Beasts ae ancient Sheikah technology, and have been used on multiple occasions. The most recent rise of Calamity Gannon we assume dates back to at least 100+ years based on a tapestry we found of the battle not long after discovering the Sheikah Slate. Purah?" The King turned to the scientist. She rose from her seat.

"Yes, my sister Impah and I," She gestured to the other Sheikah girl. "Have been running tests on the Sheikah slate and ancient technology. The Sheikah slate is one of the most advanced pieces we've found, for it has the ability to capture images of things, aka pictures, and tell us what they are." She took a picture of Mipha, and turned the slate around to reveal what looked like a glass swore cover. On the picture was Mipha, and a blue glowing square around her with an arrow labeling "Zora".

"We have yet to discover the full power of the Sheikah Slate." Purah continued. "But we're putting it in the possession of Zelda because we believe that it may help her unlock her powers. There's also a map of Hryule you can access to help you get around faster, but I assume you all will be staying at the castle for now."

The king nodded. "Yes that is correct. Now, Impah, it's your turn."

Impah stood as Purah sat down next to her. "Yes. Hello, My name is Impah, and I'm going to be helping with your training." She said. "Mostly with group work, as I'm not very experienced in the individual techniques of Ritos, Zoras, Gerudos, and Gorons. Banzetta will also be helping."

Link shrunk back into their seat a little as their father stood. He said nothing, just a simple wave to the champions and others. Zelda glanced at Link as she watched them seemed to try and become smaller under the stoney gaze of their father. She felt a small burst of sympathy for him. I guess we're not that different after all, huh? Zelda thought to herself.

"I'm sure you all have read your schedules already." Impah continued. "You'll notice that you have small break days. While it's important you excel in training, excelling in mental and physically health is important as well."

Link glanced at the papers they and Zelda had. Unlike the Champions, who had few break days already, Zelda had close to none, and Link couldn't see any on theirs. They felt irritation bloom, but didn't make a comment. In the end it would be for good reason, right?

Impah looks at Champions. "We're going to start training tomorrow. We're giving you today to rest from your journey here as well as look around the castle so you know where everything is. I know it seems big and intimidating, but it's a simple layout at the end of the day." She offered a reassuring smile. "I have no doubt you'll figure it all out soon!"

Purah stood up as Impah took a seat again. She looked at the King. "King Rhoam, if we're going to conclude this meeting soon, may I take Zelda and the Champions to where we are working on the Guardians? I think it would be beneficial to learn about the machinery, and that maybe it could help them with connecting with their Divine Beasts if they have some further knowledge about Sheikah machinery."

King Rhoam nods. "I think that is a wonderful idea, Purah." He looks at Banzetta. "Do you have anything to add to any of this, General?"

Banzetta shakes his head. "No, but thank you, your majesty." His voice is gruff and low as he looks at the Champions. "I look forward to working with you all."

Something about Banzetta seemed to give everyone but the King and Link uneasy feelings. Or maybe he did make Link uncomfortable but the young knight didn't show it. Revali found himself glancing at the young Hylian champion again, looking for any kind of reaction or emotion on that stone cold face. He glanced down at Link's foot tapping the floor under the table. Even if Link was seemingly expressionless, Revali figured that they didn't know that their body language gave the Rito all the hints he needed.

Link didn't like that man. And Revali wanted to know why.