14

Moments earlier...

Vareya paced on the private beach, practically seething with anger now that it was eclipse and there was no sign of that stupid forest boy.

She contemplated leaving, retreating back to her hut and if he dared to show his face again, she'd shoot him before he'd even get the chance to say a word. Vareya would do as she promised when she agreed to this arrangement. He accepted her requirements, reassured her that he would comply and respect it, now look at him.

Making her wait here like an idiot, no idea where he is, what he's doing, and if he's even going to bother coming. Vareya had plenty of reasons to leave and go back to her normal life, forgetting he existed.

But something was stopping her, for some reason she stayed on that beach longer. Torn between the decision to leave or stay until he arrives so she can show him just how angry his tardiness makes her.

To throw cruel remarks his way, make his training exceptionally difficult, and maybe even accidentally sending extra of those punch things his way during her own training.

Vareya grabbed her knife, and threw it at the nearest palm, where it landed with a loud thud. Then she collapsed on the sand with an angry huff, sitting and staring out at the ocean, her arms crossed.

She closed her eyes, allowing the slight breeze to cool her hot skin that almost felt like it was burning with anger...and something else.

When she opened them, the large moon stared down at her, shining brightly as it reflected off the oceans waters. The bioluminescence of the Pandoras wild life illuminated the world below the surface, and it was moments like these that she doesn't deserve to see.

These are the times, when she's alone with her thoughts, that the memories come flooding back like a tidal wave. Consuming her body whole until she had no choice but to drown in the storm.

She pictured him. Pictured how he'd be grown up-strong, confident, a warrior. He'd have been the most popular in the clan, everyone would have loved him even more than they did before.

They'd drag him out to fishing, hunting, and festivals down at the cove. She can imagine him being caught up in the clan life, and wondered if her life would be any different if he was here.

Vareya often wondered if they eventually would've driften apart, two beings brought together by choice but torn by fate. He had belonged here, with his family and the Metkayina Clan.

She wondered how much it would've hurt, to see a person she loved being loved by others. Seeing him forget her slowly, until she was nothing but a ghost to the island, a forgotten story. The same fate, only written differently.

And then Vareya wondered which would hurt more. The reality, or him him being alive, taken away from her by his own decision. Him still happy and glowing, growing old just like he dreamed.

She dug her fangs into her lip, because she will never know. No one will. Because she killed him on that one fateful day. Didn't give him the choice of his own life, didn't even try.

" Oh Kai..." she whispered lowly, " you should've hated me."

" Your right." Vareya whirled to see Lengö and his friends, all glaring at her. " He should've."

She reached for her hunting knife, the one that was forgotten on the palm that was a great distance from her now. She hissed at them, no weapon, but not enough training to know what to do now.

" But don't worry..." Lengö continued, " we'll do what he couldn't."

She didn't see his friend come up behind her. Didn't see the large object in his hand. She did feel the strike, only a hard blow to her head.