Chapter 12

Mountainstar looked around her camp, making sure that everything was safely secure and in place. Two days ago, Owlbreeze had warned her about a massive blizzard that would very one the territories and she made certain that her Clan would be prepared. Because MountainClan was so small, she was going to have all of the Clan members, except for the sick ones, in the currently empty elder's den. It was underneath Mountainstar's own den and was large, they had intended for this to be the elder's den from the start, whenever they ended up with them.

She had Nettleheart, Fireclaw and Spiderstorm working hard on making sure the entire den would be filled with moss and well reinforced to protect from the harsh cold. The only cats who would not be in the den would be any sick cats and Owlbreeze.

Mountainstar had been receiving some herb training from Owlbreeze so she could care for any incidents that may happen. They also had a designated spot for prey inside the den, so that they could stay warm together. She was actually grateful in this moment that she had such a small Clan, she couldn't imagine how hard it would be preparing for a huge Clan like SunClan.

"How's it going?" Mountainstar mewed as she approached Nettlheart.

"Good so far." Nettleheart nodded, giving her leader a soft look. "We've got the apprentices out gathering as much moss as they can carry, and Sorrelfern is leading a hunting patrol right now, though most of the Clan is with her."

"Good to hear." Mountainstar dipped her head. "Have we had any border patrols yet today?"

"Not yet." Nettleheart shook her head. "Sorry, but I've mostly been focused on preparing this den for the storm."

"Don't apologize." Mountainstar urged her. "It's exactly what I told you to do. I'll go and mark the borders myself before it gets too cold. Owlbreeze said the other Clans should also be preparing, so I don't think we'll have any issues but just to be sure."

"Alright." Nettleheart touched her muzzle to Mountainstar's affectionately before the leader turned away and exited the camp. She wanted to get the borders check quickly, and since it was her she could sprint through the forest at her own pace. The weather was harsh, biting at her paws and ears but running warmed her up.

She checked the LichenClan border first, it was clear as usual and she made sure to mark it well before heading towards the MoonClan border, however she saw something strange in the distance. She came to a stop, breathing slightly heavier as she approached the gathering hollow border where she saw Riverstar. Beside her was Stormheart and a few other warriors she hadn't learned the names of including a gray she-cat, a light brown tom and a black she-cat.

"Hello, Riverstar." Mountainstar greeted warily, she had never had a visit from any other Clan with the exception of Owlbreeze before she left SunClan and Oneflight. "Is there something I can help you with?"

"Good morning, Mountainstar." Riverstar's voice wasn't cold or hostile, but Mountainstar wasn't so sure it was friendly either. She had heard both good and bad things about the AshClan leader, and she had spoken to her at gatherings but something about being close to the fearsome leader up close made Mountainstar feel slightly intimidated. "I was hoping I could talk to you."

"Sure," Mountainstar nodded, she didn't sense any direct hostility from Riverstar, and she didn't see why AshClan would attack MountainClan with no issues, especially since they were currently at war with MoonClan. "Let me take you back to my camp so we can talk in my den where its warmer."

"Thank you." Riverstar dipped her head and Mountainstar allowed her and her warriors to cross the border. She saw them looking around the territory with interest. "How is your Clan doing? I know we don't talk much."