Chapter 6

"Blossompaw wake up." Blossompaw heard a faint voice intruding on her sleep, she attempted to ignore it but felt a sharp paw prodding into her side. She let out a groan and forced her eyes open. She found herself looking into Oakpaw's amber eyes, his muzzle in her face.

"Oakpaw." Blossompaw grumbled in annoyance. "What do you want?"

"Our mentors want to talk to us." Oakpaw replied, taking a step back. As Blossompaw's eyes focused she spotted Rushpaw behind him. "They said it's important."

"Alright." She breathed out and stood up, stretching out a moment before shaking the stray moss and bracken from her pelt before following her brothers out of the apprentice den. It was very early in the morning, just past dawn. Why so early? And what's so important? Blossompaw followed Oakpaw and Rushpaw as they led her to the center of camp where Mudfall, Burnclaw and Hollystorm were sitting, but they weren't alone. Bluestream, Windsong and Snowfeather were also sitting with them.

"Thank you for getting her." Mudfall dipped his head at Oakpaw and Rushpaw as they arrived with Blossompaw.

"What's going on?" Blossompaw asked, looking around at all six cats before her.

"Today is going to be your warrior assessments."

"What?" Blossompaw's jaw dropped while Oakpaw and Rushpaw's eyes filled with excitement. Am I ready? I thought I would have more time to prepare?

"I know it's short notice," Burnclaw mewed. "But we wanted to see how you all handle it without much warning. We've been talking for the past several days and we believe that you all are ready to be tested."

"This also isn't going to be a typical warrior assessment." Hollystorm added, causing Blossompaw to feel even more anxious. "Typically an assessment is just hunting, but Dawnstar wants us to try something different. Hunting is important, but it's not all warriors do, especially during rising tensions. The first part of your assessment will be fighting and the second part will be hunting."

Blossompaw wished she could be as excited as her brothers, but she couldn't help but feel terrified. I'm so much better at hunting than I am fighting, what if I fail? What if my brothers get to me warriors and I don't.

"Bluestream, Windsong and Snowfeather will be helping us with the assessment, they will be your battle partners. We should head out soon, it's going to be a cold day." Mudfall mewed while looking up at the sky.

Blossompaw stayed silent as she followed the group of cats out of the camp. I can do this. She told herself, taking a deep breath. No matter what, I have to give it everything I've got. I won't fail. She channeled any and all confidence she could find and held her head high. If Mudfall thinks it is time, then I'll trust him. I will give everything I can today. I won't fail.

After a short, yet cold walk, they arrived at the training area. "We're going to start with Blossompaw." Blossompaw felt her body tense at the mention of her name, but she kept her head high. "You will be fighting Bluestream." Blossompaw took a deep breath and stepped forward, facing the blue-gray she-cat head on.

"Don't worry about winning, I just want you to do your best. We will be assessing your skills as a fighter, just try your best." I don't have to win. Blossompaw told herself, which was honestly a relief. I will do my best.

Blossompaw met Bluestream's eyes and braced herself for the fight. "Go." At Mudfall's call, Blossompaw shot forward quickly. She went straight for Bluestream's legs, but the she-cat jumped back and swiped at Blossompaw's ears. Her paws brushed against her ear tips and she moved forward with the opposite paw to strike Blossompaw's shoulder.