002 - I N I K A S A H A

|002 | INIKA SAHA |

|002 | INIKA SAHA |

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

BRINGGGGG.......BRINNNNNNG....

"Hello?" Inika groggily answered, stifling a yawn.

"Is this Ms. Inika Saha from Glendale North Park Drive?" A curt voice urgently inquired her, Inika blinked and looked at her sleeping husband.

Befuddled, she creased her brows. Clearing her throat, she sat up and lethargically raked her fingers through her hair. Her mind recognized the urgent and authoritative tone but she was too drowsy to fully put two and two together. Sleepily shifting her phone to her left ear, her heart skipped a beat at the unknown sense of urgency.

thump

"Speaking," She half-heartedly answered, rubbing her tired eyes. The woman over the line released a breathy chuckle at her response.

"Thank god, we were finally able to contact you!"

Inika raised her eyebrows at her words. A contact? She turned around to check the antique clock above her bed. She squinted, it was 10 AM. As if sensing her unease, her husband, Azad shifted beside her. It was Saturday morning and all she wanted to do was sleep off the stress of a horrible week.

"I apologize but is it alright if I call you back after I've freshened up to talk about work?" She frustratingly intoned, pinching her eyebrows together.

"Wo-work? No. No. Ms. Saha, that's not why I called you. I called to confirm if you were the-"

Inika rolled her eyes, for god sake, she had just woken up. What were they trying to confirm at 10 AM? She scowled, maybe it was one of those telemarketing calls. They always called at ungodly hours to pester people with their products.

"I can provide you with other contacts until I'm able to take a look at the problem and if this isn't about work then, no, I'm not interested in your products." She seethed in a scathing low voice and firmly pressed her lips together.

A momentary pause of silence ensued.

"Anisa Saha, who I assume is your daughter, was involved in a truck collision at 8 AM at Wilson Park. She's currently hospitalized at South-Ridge Center Hospital. We called to confirm if you were her guardian."

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

Inika impatiently bounced her legs up and down. She squeezed her hands so hard they turned milky white under the fluorescent lighting of South-Ridge Hospital. Next to her, Azad dazedly stared into space.

Nurses fluttered back and forth down the hallways, checking up on patients and racing to help assist doctors with their rounds. Inika inhaled the sharp antiseptic scent of the hospital. It reminded her of her days as a nurse. Her unease only grew as she watched nurses enter and exit the rooms of patients. She rubbed her elbows trying to ease the queasy feeling in her stomach. Instinctively, she reached out for her husband's hand. Azad squeezed her hand comfortingly and rubbed tiny circles with his thumb on the back of her hand.