Chapter 18

Hope woke up with a throbbing head and a dry throat. She groaned softly as she opened her eyes. The room was very bright. She tried to get up from the uncomfortable bed but she could not. It was as if she was strapped to it. She looked down at her hand and saw a drip connected to it. She let out a wince as she yanked it off.

"Hope, you are awake?"  A voice asked, frightening her. She turned and saw Unique gaping at her jaw dropped with wide eyes. Her hair was messy. It was as if she just woke up from sleep because there were sleep marks on her face, "Oh my God, you are awake." Unique yelled as she scrambled to her feet. "Wait here. I will go and call the doctor." She said before running out of the room.

Hope gazed at her sister as if she had grown another head. She had never seen Unique run that fast in her entire life. She had never even seen Unique run. Wait here? Hope scoffed. As if she had anywhere to go.

Unique returned seconds later with a doctor and a nurse trailing behind her. Hope scrutinized the doctor as he examined her. He was dark and tall with a mustache. Round big glasses were on his face. He frowned when he saw that Hope had yanked the drip off her hand, "It made me uncomfortable." Hope told him.

He shook his head before asking her a series of questions which comprised of, How are you feeling? Do you feel discomfort anywhere? Do you remember why you are here? All of which she answered honestly.

While Hope was being questioned, her parents barged into the room. "Hope, you are awake." Mama Unique exclaimed as she walked to Hope's side, "Are you okay? Are you feeling pains anywhere?" She asked, reaching for Hope's hand but Hope pulled her hands away.

Since when did she start caring? Hope thought. She ignored her mother and smiled at her father before glancing up at the doctor, "How long have I been asleep?" She asked, curiously.

The doctor pushed his glasses, which were slipping from his eyes, up before answering, "A week."

Hope let the information sink in. The accident must have been really serious. She tried to sit up but a stabbing pain in her stomach stopped her from moving further. Something told her that her injury was serious.

"You should not try to move around yet. The injury in your stomach is not fully healed. If you move too much, it might rip open." The doctor said. Hope nodded and became still. "You are fine for now. I will come back to run some more tests on you." He said before leaving the room along with the nurse.

Papa Unique sat down beside Hope and gently brushed her braids back, "How are you feeling?"

Hope nodded her head to indicate that she was fine, "Daddy, what happened?"

"You got into an accident with Efe." Hope flinched on hearing Efe's name. Everybody noticed. "My dear, what were you and Efe doing on that one-way road? It does not even lead home."

Hope bowed her head and nervously fiddled with her fingers, "Is Efe badly injured? Did Mr. Edosa still sign the deal with you?" She asked, nervously. She was afraid the accident had caused trouble for her father.

The atmosphere in the room suddenly became grave. Papa Unique shook his head before answering, "No, I did not." Hope was about to burst out crying but her father's next words left her speechless, "Mr. Edosa was a scam. I thank God that I did not sign any deal with him."

Hope's eyes wandered around the room before landing on her father again, "Are you joking?" The look on her father's face told her he was serious. She shook her head in disbelief.

"What do you mean he was a scam? Mommy said he was rich with many businesses." Mama Unique bowed her head in shame.

Papa Unique sighed before explaining everything to Hope. After hearing everything, Hope went silent. She could not believe her ears.

"Say something." Mama Unique urged her.

Hope glared at her mother, "What do you expect me to say? That I was almost raped by a scammer. I endured everything because you told me to, and they turned out to be a fraud?"

"So, it's true. Efe was harassing you." Unique said, her voice wavering. "Why did you not say anything?"

"Did you just ask me that?" Hope glared at Unique. She felt empty. "I tried to tell you guys but none of you listened to me." She yelled and winced when she felt pain travel through her body. Why did this happen to her? She was harassed for nothing.

"Hope, calm down." Papa Unique tried to pacify her.

"Don't tell me to calm down. Just don't." Hope yelled before turning away from them. She could not stand their sympathetic gaze. [Papa Unique tried to coax Hope but she did not respond. They had to let her be.