Chapter 10

Hope once again trudged tiredly into her house after writing yet another paper. Who said English language was an easy subject?

"Good afternoon," A voice greeted, startling her. She darted her head around and saw Efe sitting down on the couch in her sitting room with the TV on. "I am sorry for scaring you." He quickly apologized when he saw her pale face.

"It is fine. What are you doing here?" Where is my mom? she added internally. Mama Unique would never leave a guest unattended, especially an important one.

"I came with my father. He is currently having a meeting with your parents." Efe informed her. Then he added, "Please, can I get some water? Unique was here but she went into her room to fetch something. I am very thirsty."

Hope scrutinized him for a moment, he was wearing a green button up shirt and black trousers. He still had a nerdy vibe around him. Hope did not feel at ease being near him.  She handed him a cup of water to him and about walking to her room when Efe stopped her, "Can you stay with me for a while? I don't know when your sister will be back and I don't like being alone."

Hope was reluctant but she could not refuse a guest. At least that was what her mother told her. She took a seat on the couch opposite Efe so that they were facing each other.

Efe took a big gulp from the glass of water before setting the cup down on the table. He loosened his tie and unbuttoned the first two buttons of his shirt. That action oddly reminded her of Damilare but she quickly shook her head to dispel the thought, "Your mother told me that you are currently writing your exams. How have they been?" Efe asked, staring intently at Hope. She suddenly regretted sitting opposite him.

"They have been fine." Hope answered politely.

Silence reigned between them before Efe broke it, "Unique said you are very good at drawing. Can I see some of your drawings?" Efe asked, leaning on the couch comfortably.

"Well, I haven't drawn for a long time. I don't have any drawings with me." Hope said before averting her gaze to the TV which was displaying an image of a man and a woman kissing. Hope quickly averted her gaze from it, uneasy.

Efe who was still staring at Hope noticed this action of hers and asked, "Have you kissed anyone before?"

Hope was taken aback by his sudden question. Why would he ask her that?
"No." She answered, trying to be polite.

Efe let out a laugh, "Don't lie to me. How can you say a beautiful girl like you have not kissed a boy before?" He said, staring at Hope strangely.

"Well sir, I have not."

"Sir? I am only four years older than you. Call me Efe."

"I cannot do that, sir." Hope answered curtly. She was getting irritated by the amount of questions Efe was asking. "I have to go inside now. I need to change out of my uniform and prepare for the next paper." She said standing up.

Efe suddenly jolted up from his seat. He walked up to her and pulled her back to sit, sitting beside her, "I told you I don't like being alone. Stay with me a little bit." He said in a tone that made Hope nauseated. He suddenly tried to grab Hope's thighs but she slapped his hands away in disgust and bolted up in shock.

"What are you doing?" Hope yelled.

"Oh, stop behaving so innocently. I saw the way you were staring at me the last time I came. You want this." Efe said licking his bottom lips as he gazed at Hope.

Hope had never been more appalled in her life. She started at Efe with contempt and revulsion. Looking at him putting on a well-tailored shirt, you would think he was a responsible young man who could not hurt a fly. Looks can be deceiving indeed.

"I think there is a misunderstanding. I was not staring at you yesterday because I was interested in you. I was just surprised to see a new face. That is all." Hope clarified and tried to walk away but Efe pulled her back aggressively, grasping her hands tightly.

"Where do you think you are going to? How dare you try to walk away from me?" Efe said through clenched teeth.

"What is going on here?" They both turned and saw Unique staring at them skeptically.

Efe quickly let go of Hope's hand as if it burned him, "Nothing. We were just having a friendly conversation." He said, laughing nervously.

Hope did not waste time and bolted when he let her go. She locked herself inside her room until she was sure that Mr. Edosa and Efe had left, before coming out for dinner in the evening.

"You finally decided to come out of your room." Mama Unique commented as soon she saw her second daughter who had been scarce the whole afternoon.

"I was busy inside." Hope said as she sat on her chair at the dining table but not before greeting her father.

Mama Unique served everybody and they started eating. Hope was halfway through her food when Unique asked the question she had been dreading all afternoon, "Hope, what happened between you and Efe this afternoon? He looked upset after you left." Unique asked as she chewed her rice.

All heads immediately turned in Hope's direction. Mama Unique quickly swallowed her food before pointing her freshly manicured nails at Hope, "Have I not told you not to cause trouble for us? See, Mr. Edosa is helping your father fund a very big project, so do not do anything to offend his son or else you will see my wrath."

"Mummy, I did not do anything to offend him." Hope tried to explain.

"If you did not do anything, then why was he upset? I'm sure he asked you to do something for him but you refused because you are lazy." Mama Unique countered.

"But mommy he tried-"

"Shut up. What did he do? Stop making excuses. You should say yes to anything he says because we are indebted to them."

Tears welled up in Hope's eyes. She was the one who was wronged yet she was the one who was scolded. Nobody was willing to hear her explanation.

Papa Unique noticed his daughter's mood and gently said, "Hope, this project is very important to me and this family is the only family I know that is wealthy enough to fund it, so I want you to bear with them for a little while. Very soon, we will be done and you won't have to see them anymore."

Hope nodded her head in understanding. She knew this deal was important to her dad and she did not want to ruin it. Hope raised her head and cast a forlorn look at her mother. Mama Unique was the only one Hope could tell about what Efe tried to do but her mother probably wouldn't even listen to her. Hope sighed before returning to her food.

_____

What do you think?
Let me hear your thoughts in the comment section.

Love and kisses❤️