Wu Wenqi and Xiao Yan, who both had sharp ears and keen eyes, further felt that there were some secrets hidden between the two.

……

As the group left, Lin Mengfei ran away while holding her head under the gazes and discussions of all the people around her. When she finally walked into an alley, her mother grabbed her arm.

“What happened to you just now? Didn’t I ask you to reconcile with Liu Gang? Why were you sitting on the ground like a log, couldn’t you talk more softly? I raised you to be this big and you can’t even do such a simple thing? Your brother’s still waiting for a meal! Why are you so useless, damn wench!”

When Lin Mu and her daughter met, she still felt a bit of pity and affection for her daughter, but this love wasn’t worth mentioning compared to her husband and son. Moreover, along with Liu Gang’s departure came the gradual poverty-stricken and whittling life.

“If I saw correctly, Wu Wenyu was standing among those people just now, right? They mix so well now, why don’t you go find her! Weren’t you guys good best friends before, huh? What did you do? Did you offend her? I’m telling you if you dare drag me, your father and your brother down, just see how we’ll fix you up! You’re unprofitable goods, why can’t you awaken an ability…”

From the alley, spitting and cursing occurred again and again. Lin Mengfei was numb yet still pinched, scolded, and beat up by her mother. In her mind reverberated Wu Wenyu, who was just like a princess earlier— a moon cupped by stars. Jealousy, regret, and sadness… All kinds of emotions crammed in her chest. The most ridiculous thing was that while she was secretly jealous, the other party had already forgotten her from behind the back of her head. Plus, she even had to rely on the other party’s shield while living in the base, which was both lamentable and absurd.

Mother Lin was tired from beating and scolding. Seeing her own daughter’s lifeless face, she suddenly lost her anger. Then, from a small house deep in the back alley, Lin Guohai’s curses and her son’s cries and bawls sounded. Mother Lin resentfully glanced at Lin Mengfei, then voluntarily returned.

Lin Mengfei sat on the ground like a lost soul. Soon after, a pair of worn-out shoes stopped in front of her, and she looked up. She immediately wanted to drink his blood and eat his flesh. She questioned with bloodshot eyes, “What did you come here for?”

Zheng Wenjun had a deep smile in his eyes. “Of course I came to see the pitiful end of a white lotus, but your family really is the color blue made out of indigo but more vivid than indigo, tsk tsk! You almost got me killed several times, and I’m not as magnanimous as Wu Wenyu at not holding a grudge. Say, if the news of you framing our base’s guardian goddess in the past spread out, what will happen to you?”

Lin Mengfei’s face immediately became hideous, her eyes widening as if they were about to bleed. “You’re despicable!”

“We’re no better from one another.”

……

Nie Xiao and his group returned to the villa district in the center of the base. They were all fatigued and travel-worn. Wu Wenyu arranged a room for everyone and hurried them to rest in their respective rooms with a smile.

“Everyone’s tired, rest first then take a bath. For other things, we’ll wait for dinner in the evening and then gather together to discuss it. It’s just a few hours, no hurry.”

Wu Wenyu drove everyone back to their rooms like a little chicken. Seeing Xie Jun’s fierce face, she specially walked over to comfort him, saying, “Stop being angry. This is a rare reunion, don’t ruin your mood because of insignificant people!”