DINNER WITH ANNA

CLARA'S POV

I stepped off the bus, the worn-out soles of my shoes scraping against the pavement as I quickly descended the narrow alley toward my house.

The sun hung low in the sky, casting long shadows that stretched across the uneven ground. As I walked, the familiar sights and sounds of the neighborhood greeted me, including the distant hum of traffic and the faint smell of street food.

After what felt like an eternity, I finally reached the weathered wooden door of my house. With anticipation and trepidation, I turned the key in the lock but then I noticed it was opened and I slowly pushed the large, heavy door open, revealing the warmth and familiarity of my small abode.

But to my surprise, standing there in the dimly lit hallway was the tall figure of my best friend, Anna Jones. She greeted me with a kind smile on her face.

The weariness in my bones instantly dissipated as I caught sight of her, and without a second thought, I rushed towards her, throwing myself into her comforting embrace. Tears welled in my eyes as I clung to her, finding solace in her presence. She held me tight, her arms enveloping me in a cocoon of love and understanding. 

As her gentle hands stroked my back, a sense of calm and peace washed over me, easing the turmoil within my soul. She then handed me a tissue from the table nearby. It was a simple yet sweet gesture that spoke volumes of her thoughtfulness.

“I missed you,” I whispered, my voice choking with emotion. 

She laughed fondly, squeezing me tighter and continuing to stroke my back.

“Oh, you’re so silly, Clara. It hasn’t even been twenty-four hours since we saw each other. How could you already miss me?” she asked with a hint of amusement in her voice.

Anna had been my steadfast companion since we entered high school, and our bond had grown stronger over the years. She had been my savior, rescuing me from the clutches of ruthless classmates.

Ones who reveled in bullying others. From that moment on, we became each other's pillars of strength, constantly supporting and empowering one another in everything we do.

Anna's concerned gaze lingered on me as we settled into the cozy confines of our living room couch.

"So, Clara, how did your job interview go?" she asked, her voice filled with genuine interest.

I sighed heavily, my shoulders slumping as I recounted the events of the day. Her eyes narrowed in further concern at the sound.

“Oh, no, Clara, what’s wrong? Did something terrible happen at the interview today?” she asked, her voice laced with worry and her dark eyes concerned.

I released a huff of air before replying.

“Anna, I…. I honestly have no idea,” I stammered, frustration simmering beneath my skin. I choked back tears, “It’s just… there was an accident, and I argued with the man that interviewed me today… I didn’t know him although he was so arrogant, but I also didn’t realize that the guy from the other vehicle would be the guy who….” I trailed off, the realization sinking in as I narrated the story to Anna.

Anna's eyes widened in shock as I finished my sentence and her dark hair, in a sleek, stylish bob, flowed around her face.

"What? And you let him go like that? If he won't give you the job, you should’ve at least given him a piece of your mind. What was all that training for?" Her words were laced with a fiery determination. 

I gave her a look.

"Well, I learned to protect myself from bad guys," I defended weakly.

Anna raised an eyebrow at me incredulously.