MEETING THE UNREAL

CARL'S POV

The woman who had left was still in my sight, like a ghostly memory from a forgotten dream. She seemed familiar, stirring something in my mind. But I didn't want to think about it then. My mind was clouded with discontent, weighing heavily on me.

I turned away from her and looked at my driver, who stood beside me quietly submissively displaying servitude.

I sighed heavily, feeling the burden on my shoulders, and reluctantly walked towards the waiting car. The driver followed dutifully behind, mirroring my frustration.

Inside the car, we were silent as we started our journey. Neither of us spoke, as I wasn't in the mood for small talk.

The day ahead seemed ominous, filled with impending trouble, and it weighed heavily on my heart. Nay, It wasn't just a bad day; it was a day tainted by an unwelcome guest, approved by the company's board of directors.

I knew their intentions were not good. They had always been close to my uncle, Damien, and now they were up to something. Those ancient crones, with their wrinkled faces and deceitful smiles, were up to something.

My father had managed the company well, but upon reaching the age of maturity the company was given to me, not out of love but because I was the heir, the designated successor.

My uncle resented me taking over the company, but my father believed in me. Though we weren't that close after my cousin death. It was more like a tug of war between us.

I didn’t care about my uncle's feelings because I have learnt the art of feigning ignorance. What mattered was my younger sister's well-being, whom I hadn't seen in a long time.

The grandeur of the company building loomed into view as the car pulled to a stop. Stepping out onto the bustling streets, I strode towards the imposing edifice, the sudden cacophony of greetings and hushed whispers greeting my arrival. The atmosphere grew silent once more, a stillness born of our differences.

I went to a private area to avoid the crowd and took the private elevator.

Being isolated due to my appearance was something I was used to. It had its advantages and disadvantages.

The interviews were already in progress as I took my designated seat in the sparse gathering. We were a mere quintet.

A pamphlet containing the profiles of the prospective secretaries was placed before me, its pages flipping beneath my fingers until they came to a sudden halt. A mischievous grin crept across my lips as my eyes settled upon a particular candidate.

CLARA'S POV:

Every fiber of my being strained as I hurried to reach my workplace. I adviced the driver to increase the speed, and to my relief, he obeyed. Why did fate greet me with such an arrogant man on this fateful day? I had allowed myself to admire him, something I now regretted as self-inflicted punishment.

The driver kept looking at me worriedly, but I ignored him, focused on the impending interview.

Finally arriving at my destination, I flung the car door, clutching my bag tightly. With practiced ease, I handed the driver the appropriate fare before hastening towards the company's entrance.

Breathless, I went to the reception area amidst the chaos, my heart racing. The receptionist's inquisitive gaze met mine, and once I had regained my composure, she inquired about the purpose of my visit.

"I’m here for the interview," I replied, my voice tinged with a hint of exasperation.

I provided her with my name, 'Clara Copper,' upon request. I then watched as she glanced up, permitting me to proceed. Her fingers danced across the keyboard, the rhythmic clatter soothing my anxious thoughts. 

I hoped I wasn't late and silently wished for a change in the schedule.

As the elevator chimed its arrival, the doors slid open, and I hurriedly exited, my eyes scanning the room filled with fellow candidates. To my surprise, the number of rivals seemed greater than I expected. 

I had naively believed I would face fewer opponent to become the secretary. Observing the bustling hall, I sought out an unoccupied seat and settled into its confines with a quiet determination.

Around me, women busied themselves with applying cosmetics, their mirrors reflecting a myriad of hopes and insecurities.

The atmosphere was filled with fear and desperation as candidates came out either disappointed or triumphant. Some emerged from the interview room with curses on their lips, their dreams shattered.

Others wept openly, their hopes dashed by the cruel hand of rejection. However, a lucky few emerged as victors, their faces adorned with triumphant smiles. But for most of us, including myself, a sense of fear hung heavy in the air.

The time passed in a blurry haze, and then it was my turn. I answered the call confidently and followed the woman in high heels to the interview room.

As we approached the door, she came to a halt, a brief pause filled with anticipation. I turned my gaze towards the entrance, where the words "interview area" were neatly displayed. 

With a deep breath, I steeled myself for what lay inside. Pushing open the door, I entered the room, and my eyes widened in disbelief.

I felt a surge of panic, a desperate urge to bury myself or disappear. At that moment, I wondered, with a voice echoing only in my mind, what my next move would be…

                      AUTHOR'S NOTE

1)what do you think Clara would do next?

2)who do you think she met?

3)Do you like this character-Clara?

4)Comments and votes are very much appreciated....

                      I💜u