Chapter 20

"Did you figure it out?" I asked Lilith as I walked barefoot into the library. She didn't look up from her book. Gold continued to hue around my vision.

"Not yet. Have you influenced any other elements?" she asked. I shook my head.

"Not as far as I know," I replied. She hung her head over a book, flipping through it to look for answers. I sat down on the couch next to her and thumbed through the book I had left open yesterday without really looking at anything it said. I couldn't find myself willing to look into nephilim while I was so mad at Holden. After a few silent minutes I finally spoke. "Do you know if there's a way for me to get my memories back?"

Her eyes rose from the book to look at me for the first time. "You're eyes are glowing," she said, ignoring my question.

"Yeah. Is that normal?" I asked.

"Ronnie, none of this is normal," she responded. "Are you more tired than normal?"

I contemplated her question for a moment before responding. "No. Honestly, I feel pretty wired."

"When did the glowing eyes start?"

"When I got pissed at Holden," I muttered. She nodded but kept paging through her book. I stood up and went to the shelves, turning my head to look at the names on the spines. I stopped on one that said Witchcraft of the Mind, Body, and Soul.

Maybe this would hold the key to getting my memories back? I had no clue what the first step to remembering anything would be, but books have always been a good source of information for me. I plucked the book off the shelf and sat down on the couch, paging though the index in the back.

Beauty

Burns

Coughs

Fevers

Healing

I paused and looked under healing. The only thing that could do was heal someones poor memory, not replenish what someone had lost. I flipped back to the end of the book.

Injuries

Memories

Jackpot. I flipped through the book once more.

Healing Brew - works to heal your body and mind.

The brew itself seemed pretty straight forward. There was an ingredient list and directions written out, though it did seem dated. It called for me to mix the ingredients in a cauldron over a fire. I assume a pot on the stove would do just as well. I jotted down all the ingredients and realized that most of them were plants I could get from Holden's room.

"What are you doing?" Lilith asked as she noticed me.

"I found potion for my memories," I said, finishing up my list. She glanced at the book I was copying.

"That won't work. It only heals physical wounds, not mental ones," she said with a shake of her head.

"It won't hurt to try," I offered up, pushing up from the couch.

She shrugged as I headed down the hall to Holden's room. He was laying on the bed with my old copy of The Great Gatsby on his chest. The book was shut and it looked like he only had it out as a decoration, not to actually read. He sat up when I walked in, the book set to the side. I didn't say anything as I glanced at my list and went to the first plant I saw that was on it. "Ronnie," Holden's voice rang through the room.

Wolfsbane - two leaves

I pulled the leaves off and held them in my hand, ignoring him. I went to the vervain plant.