Chapter 3

The next few days were much like the first. Teachers were surprised to see me, and students whispered in hushed tones while they snuck looks at me. I hid behind my book or Ava as much as I could. The attention only lasted a few weeks. After that, something else grabbed the attention of my classmates and they just accepted that I wasn't going to spontaneously combust in the middle of the hallway. Days turned into weeks and weeks into months. I was beginning to feel somewhat normal again.

Over the months since going back to school, I felt myself healing in a way. I was sleeping more, probably not enough still, but my nights at the waterfall were less often than before. My father was barely home except for the weekends so that left me alone with my mother almost all the time. The weekends were better when he and my brother were home.

I stuck with Ava as much as I could. I ran into Holden sometimes but he never seemed to seek me out. He kept his eyes on me when I was in the same room. I glanced over at his abandoned lunch table. He must have skipped. Being stared at by him was weird.

Once I was no longer worried about his strange gaze, I relaxed completely and made jokes with Ava's friends. I realized that Ava was only really close with a few of them, the others at the table were a separate friend group who just happened to sit here. Aside from Lenny, Ava only really talked to a girl named Sarah and another boy named Ben. Sarah wore thick glasses over her bright blue eyes and always had her light brown hair swirled into a knot on top of her head.

Ben ran his hand through his hair and laughed as Lenny told him a dirty joke. I giggled too but kept my eyes on my book. I was reading The Great Gatsby. I had a copy a few years ago but I couldn't find it now so my mom bought me a new one. Ben had made some passes at me over the last few months but never urged me for anything. I assumed he was giving me time to adjust back to life before broaching the subject of dating. He was cute, bright blue eyes that reminded me of the ocean and blond hair the color of sand. He could probably blend in with the beach. I was not looking forward to inevitably having to turn him down. I ran my fingers through my deep violet hair. I dyed it last night so the color was vibrant.

The chair to my left dragged across the ground. I looked over to see Holden lowering himself into the chair next to me. His dark eyes pierced into mine and a smirk tugged at his lip.

I wrenched my eyes away from his soft looking lips. "Ava, I'm going to head to class," I said, attempting to ignore Holden.

"I'll walk you," Holden replied. My eyes widened as I looked at Ava.

"I'll come too," she said standing up. We tossed our trash on the way out and I walked with my arm linked through Ava's. Holden walked behind us. He didn't say anything until Ava and I got to our English classroom.I turned to the doorway, but he grabbed my elbow before I could walk in. Electric heat danced under his touch.

"I wanted to talk to you," he said. I turned his way and let go of Ava who walked into the room without me. My eyes fell to her. She wouldn't leave me here alone with him.

"Who said I wanted to talk to you?" I asked, turning away. He grabbed my wrist and spun me back around to face him, catching me around the waist so when I stumbled.

"I want to see you," he said.

"You can see me now," I replied, pulling out of his grasp. "Go to class," I said, backing into my classroom.

I want to see you tonight, I heard his voice say. I glanced back down the hall, and he was well out of ear shot already.

Ava was sitting in her desk when I came down the aisle. "What did he want?" she asked as I dropped my bag on the floor.

"I don't know," I responded.

I didn't really talk the rest of class. Anytime I was near him, I felt calm, safe. I couldn't explain it. Take a deep breath, doll, his voice echoed in my head. I quickly obeyed.

GuardianOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara