Chapter 1

I lifted the window slowly, trying to keep the creaking to a minimum. If my parents caught me doing this, it would be the last time I could. I peered out the window before tossing my bag to the ground. It landed a story down with a thud. I took a deep breath in and reached for the thick branch that grew a few feet from my window. It stressed slightly under my weight as I grabbed the branch and shifted myself from the windowsill to the tree. I lowered the window, so it was open just enough to get my fingers back under it. I will have to sneak back in through it later. I shimmied my weight down the branch to the main part of the tree and climbed down the knots in the wood. Once at the bottom, I grabbed my bag and took off towards the treeline.

Since coming home, my parents made sure I was never alone except for at night. Even then, my mom would come into my room to check on me. She never came in the room, only ever just looked for the lump shaped like me in the bed. I shoved a couple of pillows under the comforter before I left.

I trudged through the woods, listening to the cicadas hum as I walked. I turned when I came upon the small stream, using it as my guide. The stream widened as I walked and I began to hear the rushing water. About a mile from the forest edge, I finally found my favorite spot in front of the waterfall. I stopped at the base of a large tree and dropped my bag to the ground. I pulled the small tarp, book, and flashlight out of my bag. I sat on the tarp and listened to the waterfall with my book on my lap.

Reading was the only thing that made me feel somewhat normal. I opened my beaten copy of Catcher In the Rye. I read through the night but only got halfway through by the time the sun began rising. As much as I love to read, I was never very quick at it. I quickly packed my things and headed back to the house. My parents would be up soon. I walked as fast as I could without running. I should have left sooner but the time got away from me. When I made it back to the tree outside my window, I scurried up the knots in the wood and down the thick branch. I shoved the glass up and rolled into my room with a thud, forcing it shut behind me. My parents could walk in any moment. I threw my backpack under my bed.

I changed my clothes as fast as possible. I pulled my hair out of the ponytail and let it sweep along my waist. The deep violet color I had dyed part of it it a month ago had faded to a light lilac color. I grabbed my school backpack, swapping my book to my other bag, before heading down the hall. "Veronica! Get down here for breakfast," my mother called to me as I bounded down the stairs.

"I'm right here, mom," I said, coming around the banister.

"How'd you sleep, sweetie?" she asked. She was standing at the stove stirring something in a pan. Her dark hair hung down past her shoulders.

"Okay," I said. "You know how it is."

She paused as I sat down at the kitchen table. "Are you ready for your first day?" she asked after a moment.

I shrugged as she poured some eggs onto a plate and set them in front of me.

"If you want to wait, you can. You can take a semester off," she offered forcefully.

I swallowed. "Mom, I'm fine. Just relax. I've been home for over a month. I want to start college. It's bad enough I'm a grade behind all my friends." I finished off my eggs and threw my plate in the sink.

"Call me if you need anything today, sweetie," she said. I nodded and kissed her cheek on my way out the door. My dad had already left for work. He worked as a construction contractor and was gone early most days. He had office work to do so in the winter he would go there first, letting the sun get high before heading over to the site, and in the summer, he did the opposite to get inside before the heat really hit. Either way, I didn't see him much. My mom worked from home for a call center. My older brother started college last year and lived in the dorms so he could avoid an hour commute, but he came home on the weekends to spend time with us. I wanted to go to the same school as my brother but they weren't accepting applications when I was able to apply. I settled for a community college with my best friend who was only going for her associates.