Chapter 7

It was silent most of the drive. I clung close to Holden, liking how safe he made me feel in the moment and knowing it would end when we got to Ava's house. He was also very warm, something I couldn't seem to get enough of lately. We had to stop a couple times to let Sarah out to puke, but Ava took care of her. She was sober enough to do that. I shoved my fingers in my ears and buried my face in Holden's chest until we started moving again. I hated having to hear or see that.

When the ride finally ended, Holden ended up carrying Sarah upstairs for us. She passed out on the last few minutes of the drive. I poured two glasses of water and got a bottle of pain meds out for them for the morning. They both sprawled across the bed and there was no space for me. I sighed, knowing I would probably end up sleeping on the floor. Do you want to stay with me tonight? Holden's voice rang through my head. I looked to him.

"That's okay," I whispered.

Do you want to?

"Yes," I admitted.

Then come with me. I'll bring you back in the morning. Reluctantly and against my better judgment, I nodded. I scribbled a note for them so they wouldn't freak in the morning and followed Holden silently down the stairs. He pulled his bike out of the bed of my truck with a ridiculous amount of strength. I thought he would have stood it up and let it half fall off the edge, but he lifted it and set it nicely to the ground next to him. He grabbed his helmet from the back and reached it out to me. "What about you?" I asked as I took it.

"Ronnie, after everything you've seen me do, do you really think that I need a helmet?" he laughed. I stuck my tongue out at him and shoved the helmet on my head. I fiddled with the strap and after a moment, his hands covered mine and expertly snapped it in place for me. He climbed on the bike, stood it up, and looked over to me. Keep your legs off the sides. It'll burn you, his voice warned in my head. I nodded my understanding and climbed on, holding onto him for balance. The engine roared to life and I clung to him like a backpack as he gunned it. Lean when I lean, doll, he spoke into my mind. The pipes warmed my legs but I kept far enough away from them that it didn't burn.

I clutched tight onto his waist the whole ride, leaning when he leaned, looking where he looked. Eventually, we made it to his house. He pulled the bike around the back of the house and set it to the kickstand. I held onto his shoulders as I got down and pulled the helmet off my head. "Fun?" he asked as he took it back from me.

"Lots," I smiled. He led me into the house through the glass double doors and went straight to the kitchen.

"Are you hungry?" he asked. I sat down at the bar and shook my head. He pulled a bottle of water out of the fridge and placed it in front of me. "At least drink that. You had a long night." I humored him and took a long chug of the bottle. After drinking most of the contents, I set the bottle on the counter. Holden rested his hands against the counter and looked at me. "You look like you want to say something," he said, squinting his eyes at me.

"Maybe," I responded, looking down. "But I'm nervous."

"Just say it, doll. Don't make me go digging around in your head," he said, walking around the counter and standing next to me. I swiveled around in the chair to face him and placed the tips of my fingers on his abdomen.

"You said we were close, right?" I asked. He looked down to where I was touching him and took my hands in his.

"Yes," he said, still looking down.

"How close?"

"Very."

"Like this?" I hooked my legs around him and pulled him close.