20 - Focus on the Good

I've been sanding this damn deck for so long, but Mr LaRusso figured it was best for me to not stand for too long. I was staining the fence and I painted the house for a long time, but then Mr LaRusso seemed to realize that standing on a bummed ankle probably wasn't the best way to help it heal.

I explained everything to Xalvador last night, and also that I get to keep my job. He asked if I wanted him to talk to Mr Lawrence for me. It was a firm no from me. If Mr Lawrence actually wanted me, then he would've tried to do what Mr LaRusso did. We live in the same damn apartment complex. It's not like he didn't have any opportunities. I don't care. I have Mr LaRusso and Miyagi-Do and Robby. I don't need Mr Lawrence. I don't need Cobra Kai. And I don't need Miguel.

"Hey you," Robby says, as if he somehow knew I was just thinking about Miguel. I grin up at him, pausing my sanding to wipe sweat off of my forehead. He hands me a water bottle. I appreciate it actually. I always forget to drink water.

"Ah, merci, merci," I say, accepting it and taking a long drink. He grins back at me.

"No problem. You've been working really hard," he says. He's not wrong. I don't think I've taken any breaks.

"Both of you have," Mr LaRusso says, appearing out nowhere, "why don't you guys take a little break? Go sit inside or in the shade, then we'll finish up everything, balance those bonsais on the deck, dry off, do some waxing, then call it a day."

Sounds good to me. Still plenty of work to be done, but I could use a break from the sun. This must be what it's like to be a croissant in the oven.

"Sounds good to me," Robby says. I nod in agreement. Mr LaRusso smiles at us, then walks off, and we do the same. Robby helps me to my feet, pressing a quick kiss to my cheek as he does, which makes my whole body hotter than it already was, and the two of us make our way to a shaded area, sitting against the wall- not the one we just painted.

"So... at the tournament... that was your brother, right?" he asks after a while. I nod.

"Yeah, Ames. He's been overprotective of me since I was born- that's what my mamá used to say anyway," I say. I know I referred to him as 'Xal' at the tournament, but he told me to introduce him by his French name whenever I could. We both push so hard to be called by our French names, yet both of us pretty much always call each other by our first names when we're alone. You'd think we'd barely even remember our first names at this point, but no... we just keep holding on...

"He called you something- your full name I think. Is your name not really Renée..?" he asks. I sigh. I should've known he would ask something like this after what happened. I suppose you can never hid the truth for too long...

"No... it's my middle name. My first name always trips people up, so I just go by my French name. It's just easier," I say. There I go again... not even saying said name that trips people up. Ay dios mío.

"Why hide it though? If it's hard for people, that's their problem," he says. He makes a fair point, one that I've thought of plenty of times, but still... I laugh lightly. I just wish it was that easy.