05 - New Teachers

Ay de mí... it's been such a long day... everything hurts... I found a way to strap ice to my ribs as I work on the cars. School was absolute hell. I was speed walking through the halls just like I usually do, but it was especially bad today because I didn't want to risk running into Kyler in between classes. My leg aches from where I got kicked in the thigh. And to make things worse, before I got to Spanish class, my counselor called me to her office and was all like:

"So... you're enrolled in Spanish II, correct?"

"Yes ma'am..."

"And your brother is Xalvador, or 'Ames' Santiago, correct?"

"Yes ma'am..."

"I was a chaperone for the Halloween dance and while I was doing a hall sweep, I couldn't help but overhear you and your brother speaking in very fluent Spanish. I checked your record, and found that you lived in Puerto Rico for a time, is that correct?"

"Yes..."

"So would you say it is a safe assumption that you can speak Spanish perfectly well without Spanish class, and that even Spanish II is quite easy for you?"

Silence.

"This is a safe space, Miss Santiago. And even so, your grades don't lie. You've never had less than a 98% in Spanish- I and II. Would you say my assumption is correct?"

"Yes ma'am..."

"Thank you. You come to school to get an education, and we want you to learn as much as you can in your time here. This is why I've pulled you from Spanish II. You will be enrolled in a different language class. Unfortunately, there are only two options that take place during the period you currently have Spanish II, and they are Latin and French. Do either of those sound of interest to you?"

"French sounds like it could be interesting..."

"Alright. I'll get that change made in the system. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation, Miss Santiago,"

"Thank you,"

I won't screw it up this time. I'll do just well enough to pass, but this time I'll just get some questions wrong and make sure I don't speak in a French accent and I'll be good. I just need an easy hour. My core classes are all above my grade level, and I take an engineering class, which is basically just another math class. I can spare one hour to just sit back and daydream while I "learn" a language I'm already fluent in. I just pray they didn't call Colette about all this... last thing I need on top of a new class and getting beat up is having to deal with her pretending she cares about me. At least the French teacher is nice.

I'm on my break right now. I should be resting, but I can't stop thinking about how beat up I got, and that I only managed to get in two hits, but Xalvador was able to take them all with ease. I just want to be able to fight like him. I found a place in the back to practice, so I've been watching some karate tutorial videos on YouTube to try and learn how to at least punch and kick. Then maybe I won't get my ass kicked so much.