FOURTEEN

CHARLIE WATCHED AS THE TWO TEENAGERS played in their food. Two nearly identical grins on their face as they tried to control the muscles enough to eat the food placed in front of them.

They had been that way since Charlie returned home from work. He had bought chinese for dinner and the two of them had been moving their fried rice in circles since it was put onto the plate. Giving them one more glance over his beer bottle Charlie exhaled before sitting the glass bottle down with a thug. "Alright," He said, making the two brunettes look up at him, "spit it out, what's got you two in such high hopes?"

Excited to share the new with his family, Mateo spoke up first, "I have a date tomorrow. An official one."

Bella and Charlie shared a look before turning back to the grinning Mateo just as he bit into a spoonful of shrimp fried rice. "Really? And just who is the lucky lady... or guy?" Charlie added after a second of silence, a half shrug towards Bella who looked at him.

Mateo's sexuality was no secret. He knew who and what he was from a young age and everyone around him gave him nothing but support, which he was grateful for.

"It's Jasper Hale. You know, Doc. Cullens son." Mateo responded. Charlie's eyes lit up for a moment in remembrance.

"Right, I haven't met him personally but the Doctor mentions him from time to time. He's the one with poor people skills right?"

"Actually it's anxiety but yeah that's the one." Hummed Mateo, his eyes turning to Bella who was now sinking in her chair avoiding eye contact with the two. Her smile now a grimace.

Earlier when Mateo had got into the car to be driven home she had tried to let the boy know how her conversation with Edward went only for Mateo to cut her off by reminding her that he didn't want to know anything Edward had told her. He didn't even want to know if he confirmed or denied her theory.

Bella still couldn't wrap her head around the fact that Mateo genuinely could care less about whether or not the Cullens were vampires. "I told you, what they do in private has nothing to do with me. " He had said, ending the conversation before it could even start.

It wasn't because he was scared to know the truth, but because he felt as if that if anyone should be sharing it then it should be the Cullens themself. And he's patient enough to wait6 for that day to come.

"So, what about you Bell's?" Charlie's question brought the both of them out of their head. "I doubt you were that happy about Teo's growing love life." The older man let out a weak chuckle at his own joke.

Rolling her eyes playfully at her father, Bella tucked a strand of hair behind her ear before mustering up the courage to share. "I–" The paused, licking her lips, "Edward asked me to be his girlfriend and I said yes." She forced out, already knowing how her father would react.

The sheriff sat in silence for a moment before furrowing his eyebrows in confusion. "The doctor's emo son?"Mateo choked on a shrimp at the outburst, his own outburst of laughter followed right after clearing the shrimp from his throat. "That one I know of," Charlie continued ignoring Mateo who was now stretched across the floor with tears in his eyes."Seriously Bella? The poor boy's always brooding in some corner."

Mateo's laughter was now dry wheezes as he struggled to suck in enough air to breathe. Growing annoyed, Bella turned to the side and kicked him on his uninjured leg in a poor excuse to get him to stop.

Sighing, she looked at her father who was trying to hide the amused smile from Mateo's outburst. "Edward isn't brooding all the time. He's actually pretty sweet when you get to know him.." Bella trailed off, pouting slightly with her arms crossed defensively.

She didn't understand what her Father had against Edward for him to say that about him yet only encouraged Mateo about his date with Jasper. Bella swears it's either favoritism or sexism.

Sensing that his daughter was upset, Charlie sat his nearly empty beer bottle down before turning fully towards Bella. "Now Bell's, I don't want you to feel as if I'm singling you out on the topic. It's just.. You're my baby girl and you're already dating. Next thing I know you'll be graduating then it's getting married. Time's just going by too fast."

Grabbing his daughter's hand he squeezed it lightly earning a smile from Bella. "I just don't want you to rush into this and get hurt Bell's. I mean, have you even gone out with the boy? I mean on a proper date?" Charlie asked.

"Yes," She hesitated, "I mean we hung out a few times and I know so much about him already. I swear he wouldn't hurt me Dad." Her words brought silence to the room. Bella silently pleading with her Dad for his blessing, Charlie thinking over this decision and Mateo?

Well, after his fit of laughter he laid on the floor to catch his breath for a few minutes only for him to miss the time to get up before the convo got too serious. So now he was just lying awkwardly on the floor listening to the intimate conversation between father and daughter.

Giving in, Charlie let out a deep exhale. "Alright but if anything happens to you just know I always have my hunting gun ready for use." And Bella could only sigh at his words.

⚛》》》》》◆《《《《《⚛

Betrayal.

Mateo was no stranger to betrayal but never in his life would he expect to be betrayed by her.

"God, Mateo, stop being dramatic. I'm sure Edward wouldn't mind you riding along with us." Bella groaned, shoving her books in her bed. Stopping momentarily to glare at the 5"10' teen sulking on her bed.

Yesterday Edward had offered to drive her to school on his first day as her official boyfriend and naturally Bella had agreed, finding the offer cute. However, she wasn't thinking about her crippled cousin at the time, obviously.

"And be the third pitiful wheel? I'll pass. At this point I'd rather walk to school." Mateo gagged.

Bella opened her mouth to respond only to be cut off by three honks from a horn. The signal Edward had said he would give upon arriving. Huffing, she grabbed Mateo by his backpack, yanking him up with a strength that was only known between the two of them. "Whatever, I don't have time for your dramatics right now, let's go."

Bella was careful of his boot as she dragged him along, ignoring the whines and whimpers of protest he let out. "Bella please, what if you guys let stuff slip–"

"We won't." Bella hissed, growing annoyed at Mateos lack of faith in her secret keeping abilities. Opening the door, Bella pulled him out the house and nudged him forward. "Go wait in the car, I'll lock up."

Knowing he lost, Mateo bowed his head and slowly walked to the car. He didn't care how childish he was being at the moment, he just hoped the ride to school wouldn't be an awful one.

"Might I ask why you seem so down this morning?" An all too familiar southern tune caught Mateo's attention causing him to snap his head up, a smile gracing his face we he saw Jasper standing next to Edward, leaning against the door with a smirk.

"Oh thank god you're here, I was so scared I would have to be the third wheel. Do you know how awkward it is being the third wheel? I mean, I rarely feel awkward but third wheeling gives me the shakes." Mateo rumbled, limping faster towards Jasper before pulling the blond into a hug.

The blond stiffed momentarily from surprise before wrapping his arms around the slightly shorter teen. Unconsciously sucking in a deep breath that was Mateo's scent. Upon smelling the coconut scented shampoo he associated with Mateo he felt his muscles tension lessen.

Despite wanting to stay in each other's hold the two pulled themselves away from each other. "Yeah, I recall you saying something along those lines. So I figured I'd also tag along so you won't feel so uncomfortable." Jasper smiled, opening the door to the back before stepping back and signaling dramatically for Mateo to enter.

The Hispanic male only laughed at the action before ducking into the car, scooting over so Jasper can slide in afterwards. "Guess I have my own personal superman now." He joked making eye contact with Edward who just rolled his eyes before pulling off.