Fourteen

Things have been tense since she slapped him and Lisa has regretted it since it happened. That night, she was relieved when Ethan didn't come to her though his week with Lexy has passed. She wasn't ready to face him. She's had time to think of her actions — the only fault she sees is putting her hands on him. She shouldn't have done that, especially since Lexy almost had her collapsing with a slap. Her cheek aches just thinking of it's impact. She hasn't spoken to her since then. The living arrangement doesn't seem to be working for her, not with how things are. It's Sunday and one of the days she wishes she went to church. She needs an escape. Being locked in her bedroom or the nursery has been suffocating. She knows she can't avoid her husband for any long, making her wonder how Lexy had done it those weeks back.
She halts her steps when she's about to get into the nursery and finds Ethan holding Kazi with Logan holding Qhawe. The man's eyes turn to her and she bites her lip. It's not easy avoiding someone you live with and whom you're married to. She hasn't known how to approach him because she's not used to them fighting.
"You going to get in?" Ethan asks after a minute of their staring contest.
"Good morning," she greets as she walks in.
"Morning Lisa," Logan says
He kisses his Qhawe's cheek then puts him down.
"I'm going to mom," he says to his dad then runs out.
"No running!" Ethan calls to the boy who's already out the door.
"Sorry!" He hears Logan somewhere in the corridor.
It's quiet again. Lisa hasn't yet approached him – she's nervous.
"How're you?" Ethan asks , putting Kazi down.
She shrugs.
"Not well. I...I don't like how things are between us," she admits.
"How did we get here?" He asks what she already knows.
The innuendo she gets is that it's her fault. It is. Guilt has been rippling at her since last night, having caused her to sleep later than usual and still wake up early.
"I'm sorry for hitting you," she begins her apology. "I was jealous. I mean, seeing you with Lexy like that and not even batting an eyelid when I called you got to me. I reacted out of impulse because I'm so used to having you all to myself that I can admit I'm possessive."
Ethan chuckles.
"Is it? Did I lie about having a wife?" He asks her
She shakes her head.
"No, but i still had all your attention until that dinner," she softly says.
"You're still there?" He asks
She looks at him. He's on his feet now.
"You're still accusing Lexy of spiking my food?"
"What?" - Lexy
She claps her hands as she enters the nursery. Lisa's heart drops.
"All...all I said was that it's weird that you started acting differently after that dinner!" Lisa whines
"And what could I have possibly used to spike food of a man who's been eating my food for more than twelve years?" Lexy asks
The younger wife feels cornered, praying that one of her babies cry so that she can at least escape the stares a bit.
"Lexy, why are you eavesdropping?" Ethan asks
"I came looking for you and I didn't know this is a private conversation that includes my name. Is this how you feel about me, Monalisa? You think I'm a witch? Aren't you the black person here or am I being racist? Because how again did Ethan get to fall for you?"
"Enough!" Ethan says, rubbing his forehead. "Lexy, I'll come to you. Go check on our kids for me please"
The senior wife smacks her lips then retreats. Lisa remains on the same position, eyes wide and mouth ajar in shock. She can't believe race was brought into this. She can feel tears on her cheeks but she has no strength to wipe them. She lets them fall with hopes that it'll dissolve the lump stuck on her throat. Her hands are shaking and she can barely breathe.
"Lisa," Ethan calls
She inhales and exhales deeply until her breathing normalises. Then, she meets her husband's stare.
"This is exhausting," he says. "I don't know how to deal with your attitude"
"My...my attitude? Did you hear what she said?" She asks in disbelief.
"What about what you said? Lexy was reacting to what you said about her! Geez, Monalisa. What is wrong with you? How many times should we have the same conversation?"
She's crying, this time with no shame.
"Same... are you for real, Ethan?"
"Lower your voice. You don't ever see yourself wrong. Did I not tell you to stop with the sorcery accusations?"
She huffs.
"I'm not accusing her of sorcery. Can I not have an opinion in this house?" She snaps
"You mind your tone when you're talking to me. I'm about to lose my patience with you. This conversation is done until you can acknowledge your wrongs and apologise. Grow up"
He storms out after, in pursuit of Lexy she assumes. The thought alone has her rolling her eyes. It seems she's always going to be seen as wrong in this house.
.
.
She arranged for the trampoline to be taken outside so she can have a fun day with the kids outside. The sun is out so it's allowing. She's currently in her bedroom, having changed into swimwear and lathering her skin with sunscreen. A swim would do for now. There's a soft knock on the door then her dear husband lets himself in. The night out wasn't as fun last night. She called Ethan before midnight and wasn't even tipsy by then. Her mind wasn't there so enjoying herself had been a hefty task. Now, her day has barely started but she's pissed. She blames Ethan for bringing this young woman into their lives who has a loose mouth and is self-centred. It irks her. She's never been one to dislike people but Lisa is now on top of that list with Ethan about to follow after her.
"Can we talk?"
"No," Lexy says
She's not in the mood. She doesn't even want to be here but she can't leave her kids bored while she attempts to go enjoy herself. It won't work.
"Baby, please"
She scoffs.
"Baby? Don't patronise me Ethan"
He sighs.
"I'm sorry for what Lisa said. It's...I'm trying for us not to talk about the other behind their back. You know I -"
"That you're blind? Yes. Even a blind person can see this is not working. I'm thinking of going to stay with Miley for some time. I cannot be here any longer. How will I cook for you knowing what your wife thinks?"
He brushes his face with his hand.
"What are you going to say to the kids?" Ethan asks
"They're not as stupid or naive as you may think. Rose can see something isn't right," Lexy says. "Honestly, I've never had to tolerate so much bullshit from one person so allow me and the kids to leave for a while before I file for divorce"
She has him. He slowly nods, reluctantly relenting. Losing Lexy isn't what he needs or what he'd ever want. She's too good for him to lose.
"Can I have a kiss?" He asks
"Don't...use that tone with me," she says then turns to make eye contact since he walked in.
"You're beautiful," he says
"No, Ethan. I'm not doing this with you," she says
He chuckles.
"What are we doing love?"
He's in her personal space. Lexy bites her lip as she continues staring at her first love. She can feel she's going to cave. He hasn't even touched her yet but she can feel glistening in her lower parts. This, over him looking at her? It's ridiculous.
"You don't want to kiss me?" He asks
"You're paying me too much attention," she lets out. "It's suffocating"
"You want to take a trip to nirvana?"
She quirks an eyebrow.
"What?"
"I've missed you. You don't miss your husband?"
She scoffs.
"I do but I respect myself," she sasses.
"It's just us, Lexy. No one is going to know," he jokes.
"How exactly? You make sure I'm not walking proper anyway. I'd rather not," she lies
She misses her husband but she has to use logic but a big part of her wants him to beg.
"I won't tear it apart. We'll make love," he says
He's denying her the biggest thing she needs right now – his touch.
"Then you call someone else's name? I don't want to relive that horror"
He heaves a sigh.
"That's never going to happen, not again"
She scoffs.
"And I'm being called the witch? Right."
He touches her, right on her bare butt and gives it a squeeze.
"How about I put you under a love spell?" He whispers in her ear, pulling her body closer to his.
"Ethan," she breathes out.
"Remind you of our first time ?"
"The...kids," she mutters out
"They'll be fine. I'll be quick"
He's kissing on her neck, his other hand on her bosom while the other fiddles with her butt cheek. She's missed him. It's why she doesn't take a second to respond when he connects their lips, as if to remind her of how good of a kisser he is. He unties her swim top, still not breaking the kiss as his hand fiddles with her nipple. She moans into his mouth then he automatically deepens the kiss. There's no shame in doing this with her own husband.

.
.
"Ethan," she moans out
They should've been done by now but no, what was supposed to be a shower turned into her back pinned against the shower wall as she holds onto her husband with her legs wrapped around his waist. It wasn't quick. First, they were standing then he moved her to the bed because that's how their first time was then a shower turned into this.
"Talk to me, baby"
He's slow, as if to taunt her. She needs him to hurry up so they can finish and she goes to bed because she's spent.
"You're...killing me," she stutters out
"I only want to love on you"
"My legs...Ethan, please finish"
He chuckles onto her neck and only begins to pick up speed to honour her plea. She's a screaming mess as he continues thrusting into her, it's too much pleasure for her. She feels her toes curl and the familiar feeling of her orgasm approaching. Ethan made sure to get everything out of her. She doesn't want to cum anymore but her body betrays her as she shits her eyes and releases. Ethan follows after her, biting into her neck as he does.
"I love you so much," he breathes into her ear.
The two remain in the same position, catching their breath.
"I'll go to them. I know you need a nap, baby," he says.
"Take me to bed, Ethan. I don't think I can use my legs"
He's laughing as he does.
.
.
"Where's mommy? We've been waiting forever for her!" His eldest daughter whines.
He coughs.
"Mommy is a bit under the weather but I'm here. What are we doing?"
He's changed into swimming shorts. Leigh and Logan are jumping on the trampoline while Mpho is playing in the water.
"Can you tie my hair? I want to swim. We were going to have a marathon so I can practice for my tournament in October," she announces
"We'll do that"
He ties his daughter's hair then dives into the pool as she does.
The rest of the day is spent with his elder kids, with Lexy having come after about three hours.
"Ok everyone. It's time for lunch. Where are we eating?" Ethan announces
"Me, me!" Leigh says while jumping. "I want Spur!"
The others groan, not surprised. It's the only restaurant the toddler ever wants.
"Dada, mama, spur?"
Lexy nods at her daughter with a smile.
"Let's go get you changed"
She's holding her while Ethan has Logan as all of them walk into the house.
Lexy is the one driving. Ethan is in the back with the toddlers and Mpho while Rose has the passenger's seat.
"I miss Miley," Rose says.
"You know, we haven't seen her in ages. We'll go check up on her after lunch"
"It's 3pm, mom. Is it still lunch?" The preteen asks with a chuckle.
"Hey, it is what it is then"
They laugh.
"I wish it was always like this," the first daughter says. "Without Lisa"
"Rose!" Ethan tries chiding
"What? We were happy before she came. My mother was happy!"
"I'm happy when I have you," Lexy tries
"No, you're not. You always busy then you and dad argue. I...I saw her slap daddy then you slapped her!"
This is bad. She looks at her husband on the rear view mirror. He can tell what she's thinking and he blames himself. The lunch isn't as fun, with only the younger three seeming to have fun. Mpho went with the toddlers to the play area while Rose is with her parents.
"You want us to spend recess with Miley?" Lexy asks her daughter
"And the twins won't come? Lisa never lets us play with them"
"Baby, they're still young and breastfeeding," Ethan softly tells his daughter.
"That's unfair! We never get a chance. Mom, why can't you have another child? One we can hold?"
Lexy sighs. This is getting harder than she thought.
"But Leigh-Anne is still young," Lexy tries.
"Call me when our food is here"
She gets up, going to her siblings.
"You see, Ethan? She's not blind"
The husband sighs.
"I know. It's not...it's not what I though"
Lexy snorts.
"I don't think you were thinking at all. This is your mess so you better fix it"
"Yes," he relents.
Where will he start? Things weren't like this with Amo.