Chapter 39- Steps to Forgiveness

--Alaric POV--

"Thank you for inviting us, the wedding was beautiful."

"I'm glad you could make it."

We continued to walk from table to table, hand in hand as we greeted all the guests, until eventually, we reached the table that I'd been dreading. Inviting them already took a lot of guts, but speaking to them is more difficult than I expected.

Thankfully, I had this mesmerizing woman beside me to lighten the atmosphere.

"I'm so glad you were all able to make it, it wouldn't have been the same without you. Also, I'm so sorry, Mr Clemente for running off like that on the aisle, I don't know what came over me." My father laughed, shaking his head as if assuring her that he didn't mind.

"Don't be sorry when there's nothing to be sorry for. This wedding was the best that I've ever attended, and that was because of you two. I'm just glad I was able to be a part of it," He said, standing up from his seat to go and hug her.

And a moment later, he stood back, eyes on me, awkwardly as if wondering if he should hug me or not. And I had to remind myself that I was making just as much effort as they were to repair this relationship so I shouldn't go and ruin it by being petty.

But still, hugging was a bit much.

So, I raised a hand for him to shake, and while he looked sad, he didn't say anything, and smiled at me instead, shaking my hand with his firm grip.

"Thanks for coming." I said.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world." I know I need to hold myself back with all the petty remarks, but they weren't making it any easier for me with their replies, it was like walking into a grave that they dug for themselves but forgot all about.

"Thank you for inviting us." My mother spoke this time as she came to stand beside father, smiling at us as I struggled to smile back.

Another round of awkward silence hung in the air as I itched the back of my neck, wondering if I should or shouldn't say something, but with the nudging to my ribs by none other than my beautiful wife, the answer wasn't hard to find.

"What... um... What did you think of the wedding? Ines did most of the prep, I only nodded along to most of it since she's got a better eye to detail than me anyway."

"It was beautiful... Really, everywhere I looked I only saw both of you. For some reason, whenever I look at Ines, I'm reminded of the Ocean, it's like I knew it was going to be a Beach wedding even before I was told." She hit the nail on the head with her guesses, but I didn't say anything and simply nodded my head instead.

"Attention, please everyone." 

Uncle Tonio's voice rang through the speakers as he spoke into the mic, and all eyes turned to look at him as he stood at the podium, eyes pointed to me and Ines.

"The time has come for the bride and her father's dance. But unfortunately, Ines's father couldn't be here today, so in his place, her brother, Mr Halycon Agua, will be standing in, so can we hear some applause for the bride and her brother!" The crowd cheered as Ines laughed, clapping along as her brother came over to us, bending down into a gentleman's bow as he asked for her hand in dance.

"Come, dear sister. Let us show these people how a real dance is danced." That was a lot coming from a man that didn't know how to properly walk on Human legs.

"Go on." I kissed her cheek, waving her off as she walked onto the dance floor.

I thought that was it. But I should've known better when Uncle Tonio was the host. As Isaiah sang, and Ines and her brother danced on the floor with everyone snapping pictures of them, I idly stood by, smiling at the happy sight of her, until Uncle Tonio started speaking once again.