Chapter Twenty-Three

Nickolas sat at his desk in the small office in the barn, waiting for Marcus to quit his laughing and take him seriously.

"Let's me get this straight," Mark said between bursts of laughter. "Your new bride is so traumatized she thinks you would only let her have a bath if she agreed to marry you. She's so used to being mistreated, she though basic necessities and fancy soap was a trap. Hell, she walked for days, arriving in the dead of night. Clearly, she was running from something. And you," he chuckled. "You thought swappin' spit would make her more comfortable?"
"It wasn't like that." Nickolas defended.
" You're smarter than that, Nick."
"Am I? Cause I am racking my brain trying to figure this out." Nickolas gritted his teeth. "I've got nothing, Mark. No, clue how to help her. What would you do?"
"Well, I wouldn't have kissed her the second she let her guard down." Marcus sighed. "Listen, Nick, you have to be patient."
"I am."
"Is that so? Cause what you just told me don't sound to patient to me."
" There's more."
"This ought to be good."
"It's not funny, Mark." Nickolas nailed his friend with a look that would make most of the hired hands wet in their boots. Marcus had known him too long to fall for it.
"I was rubbing her back trying to comfort her,and I felt something. A scar, all the way down her back, and it wasn't the only one." Marcus flinched. "She realized that I knew what it was she went stiff. I was just trying to, I don't know, bring her back to me."
"By kissing her?"
"I was tickling her neck and kissing, but very carefully. She kissed me."
"She did?"
"That's why I need advice. She's terrified there's no doubt about that. But I think she is also curious."
"I suppose that's a good thing."
"How is that good?"
"Well, she's afraid, but not necessarily of you. That sounds like a good starting point. Listen, don't overthink this. You are by far the best man I know, your honest, and kind, even when the greenhorns get outta line, you're only as hard as you have to be, Sissy calls you the gentle giant. Just be yourself, Nick. Be patient. In time, she'll realize there's nothing to fear." Marcus clapped nick on the shoulder, "now stop your brooding, it's supper time."