Bested by a Tree

The injections hadn't been bad for a couple days now, so of course I was expecting a horrible one soon. Other than a sore behind, today was fine. It was only really a pain when I was sitting down, which was kind of problematic seeing as I was going to spend a long torturous day in a prison like building, where I'd be asked to sit all day.

      In other news it was Bella's birthday, and I was going to make damn sure I saw her. I thought it'd be nice to see her again before my potential death day. I had given up on trying to destroy the Sphere or prevent the injections. I had a busy weekend, but all of my attempts to destroy the Sphere were in vain. I threw it on a train track, threw it into the back of a random truck hoping it'd get shipped far away. I gave it to Mr. Andrews to throw off the twenty-story building he was working on. I even took out Colton's old lacrosse things. Armed with equipment and a lacrosse stick, I tried to catch and dodge the small metal of rock that was the injection... That didn't work out. I broke a lamp, and made a fool of myself in front of Andrews who happened to walk in. And the brilliant cover story I came up with? A fly. I told him there was a fly in my room, and that's why I was wearing Colton's old, and nasty smelling equipment. I don't think I've ever felt so stupid. Of all the disgusting insects I could have chosen, I chose a fly. I'm allergic to bees for God's sake! He'd have believed me, had I said bee. Now he mocked me every time we saw a fly.

      Knowing very well of Andrews' fear of my mother, I approached him warily.

      "What do you want?" he chuckled.

      "What makes you think I want anything?"

      "You're being nice, and you're doing the puppy eye thing."

      "I'm always nice."

      "Sure," he said sarcastically. I refrained from telling him that he had cafeteria mashed potatoes on his cheek.

      "It's Arabella's birthday," I eventually said. Andrews nodded, waiting for me to continue. "I was thinking of going to see her tonight."

      "And that's alright with your mother?"

      "It most definitely is not."

      "You're going to sneak in?" he laughed nervously. Obviously, he was hoping his suspicions were incorrect. Unfortunately for him, I nodded.

      "The house is surrounded with alarms, and a six-foot-tall gate!"

      "Yes, but there's a safe spot next to the oak tree." I had lived there my whole life; I knew my way around the yard.

      It took some convincing, and he still looked unsure, but eventually Andrews gave in. He knew there was no stopping me. I had my mind set on going and go I would.

      "What about your parents?" I asked, addressing the real problem.

      "What about them?" He frowned. "Oh," the moron continued, remembering our living arrangement. His parents were somewhat responsible for me. If they didn't want Andrews out after curfew, I'm sure they wouldn't be keen on letting me out too, and I didn't want to disrespect them. "It's going to be a late visit, right?"

      "Yes, Laine has to be asleep."

      "They definitely will not want you to go, especially since your mom will have you arrested if she sees you."

     As much as I liked and respected them, there was no way I was missing my sister's birthday. "What they don't know, won't hurt them."

     "You want me to lie?"

     I mean it wouldn't be the first time we've lied to them.

     "No, just don't say anything." I'm seventeen years old, and not their child. It's not like Anna and Jim tucked me in before bed. As long as Andrews didn't mention it, they wouldn't notice my absence. It wasn't odd for me to go to bed early.