Chapter One

Hitching a light wrap higher over her shoulders, Annie Leeman leaned against the hotel's wall, staring across the immense width of the Nile River, below her. The city's lights reflected on the dark waters. A sight to be seen. Dreamily she looked up at the night sky full of sparkling stars, sighing.

Tomorrow was her last day, and then back to work.

Everything was ready for Richard Fairchild's arrival.

The last thing she wanted to think about.

A week's break before he arrived had been a heaven-sent.

Although she had been alone, Annie had enjoyed sightseeing the pyramids, the Sphinx, the famous Egyptian museum, and many more tourist spots Cairo was famous for.

Tomorrow was all about strolling through the souks, purchasing many treasures to be taken home. She always travelled at those times with a hotel guide, Keb, who had been such a joy, full of local knowledge and myths with a wicket sense of humour, and also discouraged any male interest in her.

It was true about the unwanted attention Western women attracted, the ones alone like herself, and always dressed to suit the standards of the country. Except for the evening gown, she wore now, though still modest, dining at the hotel's five-star restaurant.

Finishing out the night, here on the hotel's lookout before hitting the sack.

Annie moved, placing her hands on the surrounding balcony rail and breathed in deeply, resting her gaze on a passing cruise boat in the distance, lit up like a floating art piece. One thing she did regret wasn't travelling the Nile down towards Luxor and beyond, visiting such places such as the Valley of the Kings, and the many other tombs on the way.

Eighty, she had learnt.

However, sadly, she didn't have the time, frowning, she never did.

Also, she had to organise so much between sightseeing, ensuring everything was running smoothly when her boss arrived. One thing she found out, they ran things differently in Egypt. Being a woman made it a lot more challenging than usual.

If that hadn't been an obstacle, she moaned at the thought of his daughter joining them, one who was so trying. And the only reason Richard Fairchild had agreed with the one-week break, checking out all the sights for his daughter's sake, jumping at the chance.

She was coming back, Annie promised herself. When who knew? Sighing. Maybe it was time to move on, but where would she find such a high-paying, challenging job as she had now? Dismissing the idea, she did travel for work, yet to spend quality time in one place was yet to be seen, apart from here, so had no reason to grumble, smiling.

A gentle breeze caressed her, releasing a sigh of pleasure after the heat of the day. This was her last night of freedom before her days and nights were taken over, by her boss's needs.

Tomorrow night didn't count, early to bed, early to rise.

Suddenly a stronger gust of wind lifted the wrap from her shoulder and into the air. Startled, she reached for it with her free hand before it was lost forever, only to be caught by another, and placed back around her neck.

Stunned, Annie turned, and blinked, looking up since the stranger towered above her, hand on her throat—fully robed and his headdress a pure white against his darker colouring.

"Thank you," she finally got out, with a nervous smile.

Slowly his sensual lips curled into a breathtaking smile, showing perfect white teeth, with dancing dark midnight eyes, decadent and sparkling like the stars above, causing her heart to flutter. His chiselled jawline was outlined with dark stubble.