XLVII

The people of Gondor remained quiet, holding their breath. They watched with eager anticipation, for long had they waited for the return of the king and queen.

Gandalf stepped to two men standing off to the side, each holding a velvet pillow where a crown lying atop it.

He picked up the first crown and stepped in front of Eadrid.

Eadrid bowed before him. As she looked back up, Gandalf placed the crown on atop her head. He repeated this with Aragorn and finally motioned for them to stand and face the people. 

"Now come the days of the King and Queen. May they be blessed." Gandalf proclaimed as they turned around together, and reached for each other's hand. "King Elessar, and the Benevolent Queen!"

The people erupted into cheers, clapping and yelling and throwing their arms around whoever was nearest to them. 

Aragorn and Eadrid smiled upon them. 

Eadrid was right. With the King's and Queen's crowns of Gondor atop their heads, the two looked formidable indeed.

They walked down the steps in unison and into the aisle the people formed before them.

Eadrid held his hand tightly, but her heartbeat did not flutter. She stood calm and composed, and the nerves she had felt the day before seemed to be running away from her. This was where she was supposed to be, and her body knew it. Her body calmed because of it.

"This day does not belong to one man, but to all," Aragorn said in a loud yet soft, voice. "Let us together rebuild this world, that we may share in the days of peace."

The people cheered and clapped again, and Eadrid smiled at the now blooming white tree before them, its pink petals released and falling all around them.

Then, Aragorn did something completely unexpected.

He began to sing, in a beautifully melodic and rich voice.

Eadrid did not let her surprise reach her face, but she was going to pester him later about why he hid this from her.

She knew the song that Aragorn had sung, it was the song of Elendil.

 "Out of the great sea to Middle Earth I am come. In this place I will abide, and my heirs, unto the end of the world."

They walked through the aisle as he finished. They passed by their friends and family, who each bowed low to them. 

They passed Faramir and Eowyn standing hand in hand, and Eadrid gave them a wink.

Eadrid then saw Eomer, and she wanted to give him a long hug for all that he had done for her, but she knew she would have time later.

The elves were next to him, and they smiled at Legolas, and of course, Gimli who was at his side. Legolas looked like a prince, with his silver circle atop his head.

Finally, they came to the Hobbits. 

They all bowed before the King and Queen, but Eadrid shook her head with a smile. "My friends!" The Hobbits looked up to her. "You bow to no one."

Eadrid was the first to come to a knee and bowed her head. Aragorn followed, and soon all the people of Gondor bowed to the four Hobbits before them.

Eadrid looked up to see them looking awfully embarrassed, save Pippin, who looked as though he was enjoying it.

_____

Finally, the partying had begun.

All throughout Minas Tirith, and even past the borders of Gondor, there was celebration. Every man, woman, and child knew that this day was a new day for Middle Earth. It was the beginning of the days of peace, and they celebrated because of it.