Chapter Twenty-six

Start from the beginning

I cringe, my cheeks warming. "Mom-" 

"I mean, I want grandchildren but not this early," she says, crinkling her nose.

I don't feel so good. 

"Mom, we know. We know how it works," I say, covering my ears, refusing to have this talk. "We heard it in fifth grade." 

Austin stumbles out an agreement. My parents don't look embarrassed though, instead they look mighty pleased with themselves.

"We just wanted to make ourselves clear," my mom says laughing, and rubs my back. 

I can't bring myself to look at Austin.

"This is golden," someone says from behind. 

 I snap my head around. Jude comes around the corner with his phone in his hand. He's grinning from ear to ear. 

My eyes widen, knowing exactly what he did.

"Oh no you didn't," I snap. Jude's smile grows wider, if that it's even possible.

"Oh, yes I did," he mocks, backing away from me. "This is going to be perfect to put on YouTube. Think about how many likes it will get." Jude spouts off numbers by the millions, even getting to a billion before try and roll over his foot, trying to get the phone to rescue my dignity.

Jude skips back wards, laughing. Jude tapes the whole talk, the apparent sex talk with my parents and is going to show it to the whole world. I chase, in my wheelchair, after him throughout the downstairs, but eventually I have to stop because I'm exhausted.

My stomach is upset and I'm out of breath.

"Oh, come on. I'm not falling for that," Jude says, scoffing. I look up with a glare. Austin rushes to my side, letting me lean on him as he lead me over to the sofa. Mom comes quickly with a cool cloth in her hand.

"As if I am faking right?" I snap at my brother. Instantly his face turns into a mixture of regret and sadness. He saunters over and sits next to me, pulling me into his shoulder. "Don't smother me," I mumble.

He lets go, ruffles my hair and takes the phone from his jeans pocket. He grins, shows me the video and even I have to laugh. Austin and I look so embarrassed. Even Austin laughs, and my parents high five each other. 

One things is for sure; they are proud of embarrassing me and Austin.

"I have such great parents," I say sarcastically, and glance at Austin to see he is already looking at me. I grabbed his hand, pulling him up from the sofa. "Come outside with me." I pull him to the front door, but before we can go any farther, my mom comes running into the mud room after us.

"Here Emma. I fount your winter jacket," she says.

I catch the black jacket with fur around the hood, and shrug it on. Austin has already put on his jacket and shoes while Mom is handing me mittens, a hat, and scarf.

"I don't need-"

"It's cold out, just put them on," my mom says, leaving no room for arguments as she heads back into the house. I sigh and put them on. After I'm all bundled up, Austin opens the door for me, bowing slightly.

"After you, princess," he says, smiling.

 I roll my eyes at the name. I'm not a princess. And far from it. I roll out onto the porch, turning to face Austin. His green eyes shine into mine, and he grabs my hand with his.

"Your parents just gave us the sex talk," Austin says, bitting his lip to stop from laughing. "I think that had been the awkwardest moment in my entire life."