prolouge

It's a lovely day in the neighborhood, and two teenages were in a backyard sitting under a tree, one trying to calm the other down as she tried to get him to hold still so she could finish her painting on the cast on his left arm. She sighed in annoyance as he yanked his arm out of her grasp once again, still ranting about his father as she moved back to avoid the once white cast he was once again angrily swinging around, not wanting to be clubbed on the head again.

"It's like he always either thinks me a total fool, or a complete nuisance!" He seethed, throwing his arms up. "He's either ignoring me completely, or reprimanding me- regardless of if I'm guilty or not! And that's on the off chance he's not at that stinking fac-"

"Wally!" She cried out in warning, trying to get him to lower his voice as a silhouette of his father walked past a window facing the yard, clearly on the phone. The pair froze, watching anxiously as the figure moved away from the window, out of sight. They sighed in relief, her finally getting ahold of his cast again and beginning to paint again.

He watched her patiently, watching her careful movements. "You know..." he said quietly after a few minutes, "you could probably be an artist when we grow up if you wanted..." he frowned, hating the idea of her leaving him...

"So you've told me before..." she chuckled with a smile, "but we both agreed we were going to be scientists together, remember?" She pulled on his cast, making him fall slightly toward her. "Which MEANS, you have GOT to be more careful Wally!" She scolded him. "Honestly Wally, if you're not careful I'm sure you'll find a way to lose your arm..." she sighed sadly, frowning at the thought as she fiddled with his fingers sticking out of the cast.

He laughed confidently, "as if! That'll never happen! I'm not THAT reckless!" He said as he blew a raspberry at her, making her laugh. He sighed as he looked at her, before holding out his arm for her to continue painting. Her face lit up with a smile as she picked up her paintbrush and focused on his cast.

He watched her paint for a time, loving the look of focus on her face. They held this position for a while, an hour passing by before she declared, "all finished!" Proudly as she set her brush down, letting his arm free so he could look at it. He looked down to see what she had painted, before grinning widely and laughing, making her blush.

"A fox? Really" he said, still laughing as her face turned bright red, flushed with mock fury as she smacked him on the shoulder

"I like foxes!" She said indignantly, "and you said I could paint whatever I wanted! See if I ever do anything nice for YOU again!" She crossed her arms and turned away from him, trying not to laugh herself as she pretended to ignore him.

He chuckled, knowing she couldn't stay mad at him, before leaning forward and wrapping his uninjured right arm around her waist, and pulling her to him until his back hit the tree, making her squeak in indignation. She looked up at him to protest before seeing him looking out at the sky with an almost sad expression, simply watching the clouds. She then sighed as she got more comfortable leaning against him, settling between his legs and holding his left arm in her lap, watching the clouds with him.

They fell into a peaceful silence, simply watching the clouds and enjoying eachothers company. As they watched the clouds, Wally frowned, "are they still planning on forcing you to leave?" He asks, trying to keep his voice level as she tenses in his lap.

She waits a moment, trying to preserve the moment for a second longer, before sighing, the peacefulness swiftly leaving. "I- yeah..." she says, clutching his arms as they tighten around her, "I don't know why though, they've never really wanted me around..." her voice catches slightly.

Hearing her voice cracking like that, Wally buries his face in her hair, trying not to cry himself. "It's not fair," he mumbled, "why now? Why can't they let you stay here with me and Mr.Barnaby? What are we going to do about our plans?!" Wally continues to get louder as he asks more questions, until she finally pulls away and cups his face in her hands, making him meet her upset expression.

"Walden Darling, you listen to me right now!" She spoke sternly, making his eyes widen. "No matter what happens or how long it takes me, I WILL find a way back to you okay?!" Even though her voice was fireman's confident, she seemed to be trying to convince herself, and looked like she was about to cry. Wally's face crumbled and he wrapped his arms tightly around her in a hug, her arms doing the same.

"Okay," he said, his voice cracking, the two of them falling back into silence as they sniffled.

"Hey wally?" She asks, breaking the silence.

"Yes ****?"

"Do you think... do you think it'll be nice?" She wonders, "Where they're making me move I mean-"

"I don't know....I still don't want you to go..." He interrupts her, arms tightening once again

"...I know... promise we'll try to keep in touch? We still need to work on those plans for when we conquer your dads factory together, remember! You'll burn the place to the ground if i'm not there!" She chuckled weakly, trying to cheer him up

"Hahaha yeah...." He laughed with her, before pausing. "I'll miss you ***...." He sighs softly.

"... I'll miss you too wally...." she responds, before smirking mischievously and quickly leaning in and pecking him on the cheek. He immediately flushes red and jerks back, rubbing his cheek with his sleeve as she falls back into the grass, laughing at his indignant expression with glee.

"What was that for?!" He said embarrassed, his cheeks still burning red. She giggles as she sits up, wiping a tear from her eye.

"Something for you to remember me by!" She said, teasing him. "You're not likely to forget me now are y-" they freeze when they hear a car door slam shut, her face going pale as she hears shouting. "No... we were supposed to have more time..." she looked at Wally, fear plain on her face as he looked back up to her.

He got up off the ground and stood next to her, pulling her into a hug as the voices grow louder. "We'll find each other again okay?" He says frantically, not wanting to let go. She hugged him back just as tight as the sources of the voices round the corner, shouting angrily.

"Okay!" She says holding on tight before she's ripped away from him by her parents, the two of them dragging her to their car. Wally goes to follow him, but an upset looking Barnaby stops him, clearly angry at the circumstances.

"I'm sorry kid... but there's nothing we can do..." he holds Wally in place as they load her into the car. He breaks free from Barnaby's grasp and runs to the sidewalk to watch as they drive away, her paint on his cast drying in the breeze...