CHAPTER NINETEEN: escape and prepare.

"What exactly were you all doing at the lake?" An officer asked them

"What exactly were you all doing at the lake?" An officer asked them. "We were... We were just going for a walk." Dustin said in a high-pitched voice. "A walk? At 9:00 p.m.?" He didn't seem convinced. "To the lake."

"To star gaze." Kate said, but Dustin was louder. "We were gonna take a little swim. Little night swim." He said. "Dusty. Someone was just murdered there." His mom cried. "Yeah, we... we didn't realize that until we got there. That's why we didn't swim."

"And Nancy, was she with you at this night swim?" Mrs. Wheeler asked them. "No." Max and Kate said. "Yes." The two girls glared at him. "We're not sure." Lucas said. "She was there. Then she left. It's all a little confusing."

"That's when you guys came." Lucas nodded. "Right. Then they dared me to say what I said." Max agreed. "Oh, yeah. About the killer." They laughed. "You're lucky you didn't get shot." Mr. Wheeler said and Kate glared at him. 

"Have you had any contact with Eddie?" Officer Powell looked at each of them. "That psycho... freak killer? God, no." Dustin denied. "Nope. Absolutely not." Kate shook her head. "No. We haven't heard from him. We barely know the guy. Who?"

"Oh, that's a bunch of bull." Lucas' sister, Erica, stood up. "Erica!" They parents shouted. "I mean, you realize they're lying. The whole couch is on fire." She pointed at them. "Erica." They scolded her again. "Just the facts."

"Are you lying to these policemen, Dusty?" His mom asked him. "No." He denied. "Lying to cops is a crime, son." Lucas' parents spoke up, again. "I'm not lying." He put his arms up in defence. "The fire is consuming us."

"Threaten them with a little jail time. Maybe that'll loosen their lips." Kate scoffed at what left Mr. Wheeler's lips. "You wanna send our kids to jail?" One of the parents scoffed. "We need to take this seriously."

"He didn't mean it like that." Mrs. Wheeler tried to stop them. "Shut up!" Officer Powell said and Kate was tired of the shouting. "Shut up!" She shouted and everyone watched her. "We're gonna try a more civilized approach. You two first."

"Wait, what? Why us?" Max asked. "Follow me." He demanded. "I'm not even in Hellfire." She scoffed. "And I don't even live here." Kate added. "Do I need to cuff you? Up. Chop-chop. Let's go."

After the extremely lond interoggation, Max and Kate were just standing in a corner. "Hey, I'm gonna use the bathroom real quick, okay?" Max nodded and Kate walked away. She looked at herself in the mirror and sighed. 

When she did her bussines, she walked out and saw Dustin along with Max calling her. She ran to them and Dustin explained everything. They got to Nancy's room and climbed out of her window.

The boys went first. Kate right after them. Lucas helped her down and she thanked him. The brunette caught Max and they ran to get bikes. "Let's go. Careful." But Officer Callaghan saw them. "Hey! Excuse me! No, get back here!" He shouted.  "Let's go! Let's go!"

"I guess it's just a minor misdemeanor." Erica said as she stabbed the tire. "Hey! No! No!" The officers and parents ran out to them, but they were too far away. "Dusty! Dusty!" "Lucas! Lucas, Erica! Get back here!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------