Fishlegs's Speedstinger Recovery Log

Start from the beginning

b) Feed it some fish. But don't just leave the fish in a pile in the cage - actually feed the dragon. Sharing a meal is a great way to get to know a fellow Viking, and I don't see why that can't work with a dragon.

c) Trust falls

d) Tell it some stories. The more it hears from me and gets used to my presence the more likely it is to trust me when we start physical therapy. 

e) Meatlug exposure. No one can resist my little Meatlug. If the Speedstinger sees that Meatlug is comfortable around me, maybe that will help prove to him that he ca trust me as well.

We have a few more options to think through, but I thin we're off to a good start. And as we help the Speedstinger it will trust us more and more.

Entry 5: 

The balancing beam that I was building mysteriously disappeared last night. I'm sure the twins probably took it and used it for some scheme of theirs. I really don't have the time to be worrying about them right now. I have a duty to my patient and need to prioritize helping him get better right now.

Entry 7:

In my last entry I wrote about the Speedstinger's progress and how we finally were able to let it out of its cage for the first time without worrying that it might try to sting us. Our trust exercises really seemed to work on it, especially the trust falls. It was truly delightful seeing him take his first steps around the dome. Thankfully no one accidentally opened the dome and let the Speedstinger out. Not that it would get far with a broken leg, but we still don't want to take chances or risk it hurting itself even more. Snotlout walked by a few moments ago with a bit of a devilish grin on his face, and I for one am relieved that Astrid and Stormfly agreed to guard the dome. I'll have to recruit those two to keep Snotlout away from me more often.

We started off the night with a leisurely walk around the dome. Meatlug went first, showing the Speedstinger the route. He was slow, though I am happy to note that he did make it around the dome three times despite his wobbly legs. This dragon is tough and clearly wants to get better. 

Next, I had him step up onto a platform then step off of it. This proved more challenging. The injury limits his leg's upward movement much more than his horizontal movement. Although I believe Speedstingers aren't readily capable of moving vertically to begin with. Their speed is dependent on staying low to the ground and moving in a straight line. When they do need to move up or down they can hop, but this Speedstinger isn't ready for anything that vigorous. 

The session ended with some stretches and then some leg strengthening exercises. We'll work on agility more as his leg continues to strengthen. For now, we need the leg to heal and can't have him move around too much.

Entry 11:

I saw Snotlout leave the twin's house today. Get this: he was singing to himself. Singing! I don't think I've ever seen him that happy. I guess I should just be grateful that he's been spending so much time with Ruffnut as she continues to heal from the Speedstinger's venom. I've been meaning to check in on her but haven't been able to find the time.

Entry 15:

Late night of training. Meatlug started snoring and the Speedstinger fell asleep right next to her. It was adorable. I love working with dragons.

Entry 20:

Note to self: remember to bring a shield next time.

Entry 21:

Dragon bones mend very quickly. It makes sense if you think about it. They're out there in the wild, flying into things, landing on hard surfaces. I'm sure dragons are injured all the time. Unlike humans though, they can't always stay in bed with a nice bowl of soup until they're better. If their bones don't heal...well, I don't even want to think about it. 

The good news is, the Speedstinger's leg seems to be healing nicely. He's certainly limping a lot less, and he's moving through the exercises quite nicely. It's adorable really. Every time he completes an exercise he looks at Meatlug with this wide grin and starts wagging his poisonous tail. You can tell he's proud of each new accomplishment, and Meatlug is proud of her patient! She started bringing him little rocks as snacks, probably not realizing he's not a fan of granite or rocks in general. But that didn't stop him from using the rocks as weights. We've even incorporated them into the physical therapy sessions and have him using his foot to move the rocks to various places. Maybe that's what Meatlug was thinking when she brought him the rocks. She's just the sweetest. Speaking of which, it's time for our evening stroll around the topiary garden.

Entry 23:

I think it's nearly time to take off the splint! The Speedstinger is running around the dome like an entirely new dragon. He made it around the dome five times in a matter of seconds. Meatlug got a little disoriented watching, and there may have been some gas issues. Despite that, I could tell she was impressed with our patient. He's also doing excellently on the balancing beam and in the obstacle course. He needs a little more work on his hopping skills before he's ready, but I'm confident that we're getting there. I'll have to schedule a date for the others to come and see all the progress the Speedstinger has made. They'll all be so impressed! And then with any luck, we'll be able to get him back into the wild and with his pack! It will be sad to see him go. I know Meatlug will miss her new friend. But we will cherish these memories and celebrate helping a member of our Archipelago!

They said Speedstingers were untrainable, but this proves otherwise. We'll have to amend the Book of Dragons to reflect that. Even now, years after ending the war with the dragons, we're still learning so much and correcting old falsehoods. If there's ever been a reminder not to rely solely on what older generations have passed on to us, this is it. Like Gobber once said, "we need to be able to listen to our elders like we listen to a yak. Auntie Hildegard once told me that a moo is never only a moo, but you need to realize that at the end of the day it's still a moo. A moo can tell you a great deal, but it can't tell you what we're doing on this earth of ours." I didn't understand then but I think I do now. We can listen to a yak and do our best to respond to the yak, but we don't need to treat the yak's moos like an instruction manual. A moo is a moo and...a moo's moo...no...well anyway. Be open to change is what I think that meant.

I have to get back to the Speedstinger now. Meatlug has been leading him through the obstacle course, testing his ability to quickly get through a maze of objects. Once she gives me her report I'll take over for the rest of the night. Let me find some good Berk granite first though. She deserves a treat.

Entry 24:

I found some granite in my hut, and when I came back Snotlout was leaning against the dome. He said he was looking at the stars. I didn't know he was interested in astronomy. Good for him for getting a hobby! It's about time.

I'm dallying now. Time to do some more training with the Speedstinger!

***

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed! My friends and I run a creative writing podcast called "Determination, Deliberation, and Dragons." We workshop original stories, analyze books and movies like HTTYD, and interview published authors and other creative people. if you are enjoying my HTTYD fanfics, consider listening to the podcast! You can find it wherever you get your podcasts.